Thursday, October 20, 2011


 The other reason to go to Rhinebeck is the shopping, right?   

I went with a goal in mind.   I had it in my head that it was time to find the perfect off white wool.  Something soft and a little lofty, maybe a bit sheepy, but really not that much. Woofy is the word that keeps popping into my thoughts, and Cormo was on my list.  So you see a little bit of off white there, between all the blues?  That's cormo, which is just as soft and wooly and lofty as advertised. 




And it isn't just any cormo, but Foxhill Farm cormo, which was recommended to me by the one and only Yarn Harlot, who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time last weekend.   She was charming and funny - and  a bit surprised that she actually liked Hot Cider when you added burbon to it.  Seems she is not an apple fan.  Who knew?  

But that woman knows her yarns, and when I mentioned my quest for cormo, she didn't hesitate a bit, and she didn't have a second favorite.  Foxhill Farm and that's the one, I was told.  Go back there and get it.  And when The Yarn Harlot tells you something like that, you don't argue.  You just buy it.  Right?  I can't wait to swatch!

In addition to the Cormo, I got a lovely little batch of vintage turquoise buttons, two skeins of Miss Babs sock yarn in the most gorgeous deep teal color ever, and two skeins of Bijou Basin Bijou Spun, which is a mix of cormo and yak down.   Yak down sounds a little like it's a joke, but it's not.  It's soft and puffy and will make lovely mittens.  I'm not sure what the Miss Babs will be, but the color guarantees that I won't have long to wait before I figure it out.  I just have a thing or two to finish up first.



The other fun thing about Rhinebeck is that it makes me take phone photos, which makes me find OLD phone photos.  I have a crappy phone, and I use it mainly to talk on.  I barely text, I don't have internet access, and the battery cover is missing.  So when I do use a fancy thing like the camera, it often gets forgotten till later.

And then it's like a little present.  Here's a shot from some furniture shopping we dragged the girls to earlier this year.  The space age sofa was too sweet not to sit on.  Or according to Maya, to "LOUNGE" on.  She was asking for grapes here.  Zoe claimed the elf shoe end as her spot.  It looks like something from I Dream of Jeannie's bottle, doesn't it?   The girls begged and pleaded, but in the end, we left it there for another lucky shopper to take home, and we have since set up the old wooden futon in their TV room, and bought two foldy butterfly chairs from Kohls, about which they are overjoyed.  Good enough.

But seeing the picture again, I kind of wish I knew who did buy this.



8 comments:

Ariane said...

Oh I wish I had buy more yarn, and had a pattern in mind before Rhinebeck!

Angela said...

After you and Diana left the Bijou Basin booth, I ended up buying 2 skeins of the same yarn. Enabler! :-)

Kristen said...

Fun yarn to come home with.

I am redecorating the living room right now and hadn't considered the Jetson look until now.

Kym said...

DEFinitely Jeannie's bottle!

Seanna Lea said...

It looks like you had a nice modest haul at Rhinebeck. I'm hoping to go next year (it will have been about 4 years). Maybe that will be the year I buy a wheel. Gadgets for the win!

Hilary said...

Oh man, that sofa is AMAZEBALLS. At first I thought it was like a giant high-end blow-up sofa. Even though it's not...whoa! Love the swirly elf-shoe end. And how can you go wrong with metallic silver?!

Speaking of amazeballs, that's some nice yarn you got.

Jody said...

Hi Thea- didn't see the green sweater OR the cormo!!! Can you only buy Foxhill at the shows?

Mini said...

honestly, i think my cousin might have. I don't want to be all "melrose" but her mom's from Melrose, her dad from Revere ("that" end) and I think her home style is more toward the garish...