Monday, October 10, 2011



Well, for the record, I did finish.  

All I need to do  is add buttons and weave in my ends, and it's only 9:30 AM, so if I was going to do it, I absolutely could.  But I'm not, because in the end, I just don't feel the love for it.   Happily, I didn't give up my whole weekend for this sweater.  We hung out with friends on Saturday, and went to a great barbeque festival yesterday.  Instead, I spent my evenings knitting and seaming and didn't miss out on the great weather.  How glad am I?   The problem is hard to pin down.  There are details in this that I love, and this Osprey yarn is absolutely amazing, but all together, something is just missing, so on the dressmaker dummy it'll stay. My theory is that it's a little too plain in front, and that the long, lean fit isn't something you should do in a heavy yarn, no matter how gorgeous it is.  Whatever, the reason,  I'll be wearing something else at Rhinebeck.  snif.  

I had a short bout of craziness this AM where I thought I could cast on for a new sweater right now and be done in time, but instead of driving myself up a tree for the next 4 days,  I'm going to leave that particular bag of nuts on the shelf.  I did come up with a cool swatch in the midst of my delusion, so not all is lost and I will see if it goes anywhere once I return.   It's a little tweed and lace experiment.
 
Besides, there are things on the desk that require my attention which are not due this week and will not make me crazy.  This little skein is destined to be a pair of long dressy gloves for the holidays - and the yarn color is just perfect for something named Champagne, don't you think?   I've been toying with stitch patterns, and have yet to choose, but I'll get there soon.   The yarn is Cotton Comfort by Green Mt. Spinnery and it's lovely stuff  - 80% wool and 20% cotton - which will be kind of perfect sticking out from a pair of 3/4 length sleeves, right?  I'm thinking very MadMen with this.  Little pearl buttons and such.
 .

And last, if I'm not giving you a cardigan, I should at least give you a drink, right? 

Still using up my lemon soda here, I've also acquired a bottle of Lemon Bitters.  I'm becoming a huge fan of the bitters - they give almost any drink a little extra depth, and they come in a whole batch of great flavors.  This could be trouble.   Here I added these to muddled mint and lemon vodka/lemon soda concoction. It was pretty good.  And it turns out they are pretty amazing in a vodka tonic with lime, or just a straight lemon vodka martini.  Since it's 80 degrees out here, everything still has ice cubes and bubbles.



Am really hoping the weather changes by Rhinebeck so I can do my burbon and cider.  That requires a little chill in the air to be properly enjoyed.   Although I'm sure we will manage if necessary...

9 comments:

Melissa said...

You are definitely a much faster knitter than me! Still knitting the sleeves on mine and hoping I'll finish the band by Wednesday.
Thanks for the cider-bourbon suggestion. I don't have bourbon, but I do have spiced rum. YUM!! My new favorite drink!

Tante J said...

I feel your pain, but commend you on your common sense. I have no doubt something magical will soon appear. You haven't let me down yet!

QuiltedSimple said...

Bummer! But if you aren't feeling the love.....best to quit while you are ahead. I'm sure you'll ressurect it somewhere down the road!
Kris

Renee said...

Maybe styled with a neat pin and cool belt the cardi will work for you later. And a pretty white ruffled blouse under - it's simplicity may shine?

Oooh, can't wait to see your Champagne creation. I love knitting accessories most.

Patty said...

So sorry to hear this. Rhinebeck will still be great! Making me feel a little guilty about my 75% done Nantucket Red in Cotton Comfort...it's really lovely.

Patty said...

So sorry to hear this. Rhinebeck will still be great! Making me feel a little guilty about my 75% done Nantucket Red in Cotton Comfort...it's really lovely.

honeysuckleblue said...

I think it's a really pretty and unique green and the simplicity enhances this. I like it :)

lilibethsgarden said...

Aww, that's a bummer, I distinctly dislike it when that happens.

Love your designs!

Kathleen said...

It's cooling off here in New York, just in time for Rhinebeck! I will be there for the day on Saturday and have your digits, so I'll give you a ring!