Friday, May 25, 2012

 How awesome is this??



 It had been living in a box in my Mom's basement, and would never have seen the light of day again if I hadn't wandered down there.  (Not exactly her taste.)  When I was little, it hung in the hallway of my Grandma Edie's Bronx apartment.  Right above the big round tschotchke display table with the wire doors.  The table had little glass bowls of  hard candy and framed pics of all the grandkids on in, and behind each of the little doors were shelves for all her porcelain figurines.  You've probably seen a similar table at a Grandma's near you.
 I didn't really want the table, but the painting?  Oh yes. The gold frame, the velvet border and the funky clown all in one place and I had to take it.  I grabbed it before it ended up in the Salvation Army store. (Where I would have bought it anyways - let's be honest)

And now it makes me happy in my office.  Maybe it'll inspire me.

-----------------

As for the new hair, it's brown now, and way less curly.  The brown will stay, but the curls might return.   She gave me a keratin treatment, which is supposed to keep things shiny and smooth for a while.  I am loving the shiny and smooth, but I am not sure how long it'll last or what degree of humidity will cause it to crack.  New England is giving it a run for its money, and so far it's holding steady.  So all week, I've been seeing myself in mirrors and being surprised, which is kind of fun.


Lastly, the new sweater.  The yarn here is Green Mountain Spinnery's Cotton Comfort.  It's a bit rustic, but soft and delicate and comes in this lovely color, which I am going to dub Champagne. The sweater is still in the works, but my hope is to release it later this summer.  I am all about playing with the lace panels, and creating a little bias illusion by moving them around and adjusting the size of the leaves, which makes for a fun project.  It'll be a good summer top or transition piece for fall  (once it covers your boobs).  For now, decisions need to be made about the top half.




As for drinks,  the weather has warmed up and we have been making been Gin & Tonics on the front porch.  Some with lemon, some with lime, a couple with orange, and some with a splash of grapefruit.  One night we tossed the St Germain in as well.   There's nothing that doesn't taste good in one of these.  Maybe there is, but I haven't found it yet...

Happy Long Weekend - see what you want to toss in your G&T.

10 comments:

Angela said...

Your hair looks great. I have had several keratin treatments through the years, and you'll be surprised at how well they hold up. Remember I'm in the very southern part of Louisiana - think 100% humidity almost year round. p.s. I'd love to testknit your new sweater when you get to that phase. I am all about summer sweaters/tanks/tees right now.

Anonymous said...

A slice of cucumber is refreshing in a gin and tonic - one of my favourite summer drinks!

Kristen said...

You really delivered on your title! Nice clown from grandma, and it's nice to know that you are brave and aren't afraid of them. Love the straight hair, it also looks like you got it thinned. I need to have mine thicked. You amaze me with all your sweater designing. I'll ask again, when is the yarn line coming out?

kate said...

If by awesome you mean terrifying, then yes. Clowns are creeeepy.

Kelley said...

Thank you for the Gin and Tonic tips!

I just added Drambuie to my Ravelry Queue. I love the layering potential!

QuiltedSimple said...

The hair looks great - I just had mine chemically straightened somehow and I'm loving it - it survived the heat and humidity in D.C. very well last week - if anything it got straighter!?!!? The clown is so cool - I think I'd have to have it to. And the tank? Awesome - got my yarn picked out already for it:)

Lorette said...

The new sweater looks lovely. Yesterday for cocktail hour we had our gin and tonic with a bit of Aperol and grapefruit juice...lovely!

madforknit said...

The new haircut looks awesome!! Hope it stays for awhile with all the humidity.

abbensmom said...

The new sweater is intriguing! I love GMS Cotton Comfort and will be interested to combine the genius-via-simplicity of your patterns with their yarn.

I agree with others......Your hair rocks, although I have always been extremely jealous of naturally curliness and so am sort of hopeful your lovely curls will reappear - and clowns are creepy. But I love that you have treasure and blessed memories from Grandma Edie's home. I hope the little guy brings joy and inspiration.

diana said...

Love the hair! And the new sweater :)