Thursday, June 28, 2012

My recap of  last weekend's National NeedleArts Association's convention in Columbus Ohio?  I have to admit, I'm not even sure how to describe it in a blog post. On the surface, it's amazing enough - an entire convention full of all the gorgeous yarns and accessories you'll be seeing in your local yarn shops next year.  All in one place, right?   Life's complete right there. 

But add in all the generous and talented people that make the yarn, take a healthy dose of the very accomplished, funny and creative women who have created this world for us, and then round it out with many of the talented designers who are adding great things to our community every day.   For me, it was a chance to connect all of our dots, and really put some perspective on what I'm doing and how lucky I am to be doing it with these people.  And it's been said before, but to meet the internet faces -  how happy was I to put a face to Roxanne at Zen and Katie at Blue Sky,  and to the Yarniad,  Hilary, with whom I have practically written email novels over the last few years but never seen in person?   So many others, and every one was fabulous.

 Honestly, so many of us in the indie designer community work from home and don't get the chance to really meet other people who do the same thing we do, so it's such a treat to say hi and compare notes and rifle through yarn with A Person Who Gets What You DO, you have no idea.   And, yes, to have a drink or two doesn't suck either! 

But how about pics, right?  

This is North Market, which is where everyone at TNNA goes back and forth to all day, so they can get ice cream at Jeni's.   Jeni's might be the most amazing ice cream ever.  I had some on 3 out of our 4 days there. And since the question everyone asks is, "What flavor?"...

Whiskey Pecan, Lemon Blueberry, Garden Mint, Lavender Berry, Vanilla, Salted Caramel, and Milk Chocolate.
that sounds like more than 3, but they let you mix flavors.  really.


This is how you can tell who's a knitter when we are off the showroom floor.  See the herd of mixed Namaste bags on the carpet?  When it's 90 degrees, we aren't wearing our knits, so you gotta go by the bags if you're wondering.

(the knitters are: Heather Dixon, Stitchy Mc.YarnPants, Caro Sheridan, RChrispy, and Amy Herzog)


 Random pic:  what Stitchy came up with when the flight was delayed... cocktail jellybeans. 


And the parade of yarns -

 from Blue Sky, some gorgeous Spud and Chloe Outer, and a lovely orange shade of Melange.....


 Anzula's yarn was new to me, and I might be a little hooked.  They have some beautiful bases I'd not seen before, and the colors on these are heathered and delicate.  The blue is their Sebastian, a mix of seacell and merino (!!) and the 3 others are their Dreamy, a silk, cashmere, merino mix.  There was another with milk in the base, how cool is that?  But a girl has to show a little restraint, and the folks at the booth were already more than generous with all of us!  I may buy a skein of the milky one when I DO see it in a shop.


These are a little mix of three yarns which I am excited about - some Dream in Color Classy, a bit of IndigoDragonfly, which Kim was kind enough to remember I was admiring at Rhinebeck last year (it's such a great green!), and a skein of Harrisville Tweed.  All gorgeous in both color and fiber.  Mmmm. 


Lastly, a bit more Anzula in a fuzzy alpaca, and some Shibui in deep, deep green.  I cannot wait to begin swatching with all of this! 


Plus, I may have gotten a new bag.  Because one wasn't enough.



And I'm getting on ANOTHER plane in a day or so, so this will be the perfect travel and knitting bag for a jaunt out to California.  Where again,  I won't be wearing any knits, but can be recognized by a fellow knitter by my Namaste!

--------

And for anyone wondering,  I plan to release Planter's Punch within the next two weeks.  It's just about there...




11 comments:

Steph said...

hey there! where will you be in California? anywhere near my neck of the beach?

patty said...

Is harrisville tweed being reintroduced? It is currently on their deals & steals which I have been lead to believe is where discontinued items go to die. Are they rejiggering the color line?

Patty

Thea said...

It's alive and well, Patty - and the colors are gorgeous. We spent a little time chatting with them, so I'm sure they aren't going anywhere.

I think they just have some colors that might be discontinued? I have a design I'm working on in their yarn for Oct - it's RED, and will be Bloody Mary!

Minty said...

great post to sum up the show! I had a lot of fun hanging out with you more, too.

Ellen Mason said...

Have a blast on the next leg of your trip! You found your people, and that makes me happy.

Thea said...

Hey Ellen,

You're my people too!!

xo

iowagirl said...

What's the name of the lovely green shawl in the picture with your new bag? Yummy...

Jessille said...

look really fun!
btw mind to fllw each other?
jessillesilv.blogspot.com

Thea said...

Iowagirl - it's Snow Drops and Snap Peas - here's the link to my project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/babycocktails/snow-drops--snap-peas-shawl

Jessille, sure thing!

QuiltedSimple said...

Yay!!! I put my winter planter's punch on hold to do the Champagne, but with 2 weeks, I can finish it!!!! And all that new yarn? Gorgeous! Have a good trip!!!!

Hilary said...

OMG, I got the same Namaste bag! Great minds think alike. :)

Thea, it was so awesome meeting you. I can't wait until next time!

Hope you're having a nice time with the fam...