Wednesday, June 06, 2012




I'm so, so excited to tell you that my patterns are now available wholesale, through Deep South Fibers!   This has been in the works for a while, and if you are one of the yarn shops who have been emailing me about LYS sales, thanks much for getting me off my duff to do it.  It feels very professional and grown up to expand from my internet base, and now when I show up at TNNA in a couple of weeks, I'll have something to talk about, although I warn you that I still might ramble on about nothing out of sheer nervousness.   I do tend to do that.  A bit.

Anyways, in celebration, I made a drink.  Surprised?


It's really an effort to use up some of the more random bottles in my liquor cabinet - so I had  Zoe pull one out from the bottom shelf, which is where the less-loved bottles live.  She chose Apricot Brandy (My second grader is picking my booze - earning me the Parent of the Year award, I know.  I tend to think it's  like cooking and this is a recipe challenge.)   So anyways, with Apricot Brandy, what does one make?

A Claridge.  
I found it a little sweet, so I put it back in the jigger with a tad more gin, a little lime juice and a bit of lime zest.  It's good. Gotta admit, I'm halfway through it and feeling it already, and I never feel it.  This is a one-drink drink.  Although it could be because we have not had dinner yet and lunch was around 11am.

Anyways, I digress.  You need a recipe:

  • 2 1/4 ounce gin
  • 2 1/4 ounce dry vermouth
  • 3/4 ounce apricot brandy
  • 3/4 ounce Cointreau 
 
Put ingredients in jigger with ice, shake, and pour.  I do suggest the lime juice as well.

If you are wondering what that blue yarn is all about, I'm experimenting with shawl and cowl ideas on Plucky Primo Sport.  The colorway is Poppycock.  It's a deep bluish gray with tones of deeper gray in it.  I love the little leafy pattern I've chosen, but need to figure out how best to decrease it.  Am not there yet, but hoping to get it all charted before next week when SCHOOL is OUT.    Yep, OUT.  June 12 is our last day.

 In terms of planning for the impending non-free time, I have three more designs charted and figured out, so all that remains is to knit.  We are off to San Francisco and Los Angeles later this summer, and I will have many days in a beach chair.  We aren't so camp heavy, so I do have to remain checked in.  But if this works, all I have to do is k-n-i-t.  

Am thinking it's some sort of summer plan. If you have a better one, I totally want to hear it!  Or if you want to meet on a beach on the North Shore some day, you just let me know...  I'll bring the thermos!


13 comments:

Suze said...

June 12 is the last day here in Madison, too. Seems SO late to me!
Speaking of kids learning about booze, my KG son brought home a poster he made the other day of pictures they cut out of magazines. On one side was "food" and the other was "not food." He'd put pictures of 2 bottles of wine on the "food" side! There was actual food there, too, but still...I wonder what his teacher thought.

Steph said...

Congrats re: Deep South!

BTW I *so* want to have a cocktail with you at TNNA!

Dorothy said...

Congratulations! and thanks for the new drink. I think gin and lime pretty much make anything better.

helloknitty.net said...

Knitting on a beach chair on the North Shore sounds divine. My summer will be spent in the hot, humid South, indoors where my perennially lily whiteness can't get scorched.

AntiquityTravelers said...

I have a few bottles on the lower shelf ... can you send Zoe over to my place :) Or how about mommy and we can mix up a few

Patty said...

I said I was getting to the beach this summer and the North Shore is pretty special! :-)

QuiltedSimple said...

Lucky....we've been out since May 31st and I'm ready for them to go back to school!

Kathleen Dames said...

Mazel on the Deep South thing! I think we're going to be on the North Shore the weekend of August 11th, if you're not traveling then. I'm definitely pondering TNNA for next year...

janna said...

I sure wish I liked gin....

And contrats not the arrangement with Deep South! Very cool! Very professional! ;-)

gay said...

i once made a side car using apricot brandy and it wasn't bad!

Sonia said...

That is very exciting! We've been drooling over Vodka Lemonade at my shop, and now we can order the hard copies. Very sweet!

Ness said...

Congrats! I'll have to tell my boss to stop and get some patterns for the shop. ;)

Our summer plan was to hike in Washington. Done. So...now I'll just knit! I know I bought a hammock for a reason. :)

Ellen Mason said...

I'll bring the sunscreen, a big hat, and finger sandwiches (and hand sanitizer) ... (for our hands).

Congrats on Deep South!