Sunday, August 19, 2012

Yep, in a row.   A bit of driving, but the second two weekends were worth it.   

The first one kind of sucked, and I have no photos.  It was pretty uneventful, since I had food poisoning Saturday and only spent two hours in the state on Sunday.   I drove up to drop Maya off at sleepaway camp.  She requested I drive, since I like her music and my husband won't sing along at the top of his lungs.  It was a quick up and down trip, and I did the required singing, gave the required hugs and bid her adieu for two weeks.  All without throwing up, which was a bonus.   And we dodged the traffic.

As the trips go on, the stories and photos get a bit better., I promise.

The second weekend was way more fun.  A few of the New England designer folk decided it was time to have a little get together up in Portland.   Since we work alone most days in our respective homes and offices,  the chance to meet, compare notes, and talk with each other in person is a real treat, and we may have had a few ciders while there.   


We stayed overnight for a little more knitting and child free girltime, and were introduced to Bintliff's the next morning by our lovely hostesses.  Bintliff's is worth a trip based on the lobster frittata alone.  It definitely beat the previous weekend.

 

 And this weekend, we went BACK up towards Augusta to retrieve the child who was dropped off on the first weekend.  Instead of doing the trip in one day, we found a little hotel in Belgrade Lakes and spent the day on a mini vacation.  Lakeside ice cream, a swim, and a few hours in a canoe were all beat by the best Beer Thirty Ever.   Right here on this dock.


  From far away, it looked like this.   (see below)

The docks were behind our hotel, on a little river that connected two bigger lakes.  Kinda perfect, right?   We were already sold, but while docking the canoe, the waitress sealed the deal by coming out to take the order for two gin and tonics and a shirley temple.  By the time we put the boat back on the rack, the drinks were waiting.


I am so so so comng back HERE.   It may look a little funky on the outside, but that's all part of the charm.

And, oh yeah, I made a quick stop back in Portland at Bintliff's again.  Because we were SO close when my husband said he was maybe hungry enough to stop somewhere on the way home.   The BLT and corned beef hash were about as good as the lobster fritatta. 

-------------------

Plus, with all the driving time and the hanging out at the bar, my new Plucky sweater got finished.  
I just need to decide on buttons.  


What do you think, yellow or orange?  Maya says yellow (actually, she keeps calling these "lemon" for some reason.  She actually told me, "Mom, lemon is so in this season.")  I didn't know.



17 comments:

eleanor@knittinginflipflops said...

Lemon may be in, but I'm in Florida Gator country, so I vote orange! Go Gators!

Dani said...

I'm with Maya - the lemon is so punchy!

dianne said...

I think the orange buttons. Isn't Tangerine Tango the color of the year?

dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cinti Susan Voegtly said...

I guess "both" is not an option? :-) they're so happy together! Love that blue!

Seanna Lea said...

I'd go with the orange, though both that orange and the lemon were all over the place at the clothing shops I was at yesterday (though slightly more orange than lemon).

sewstylish said...

Tough choice, my first instinct was yellow but the orange is cool too. I'm thinking you may just need to close your eyes and pick one;)
On another note my family and I just came back from Biddeford Pool ME our go to spot once a year. We also enjoyed some adult beverages and made it up to Portland to The Corner Room Restaurant which is one of our favorite places to eat not to mention it's kid friendly so win win.

Anonymous said...

Love the yellow with the blue- Can't wait to see the rest of it!

ChristinaPurls said...

Definitely orange! Or, if you truly can't decide, maybe one of each? Love the blue :)

~Christina

ChristinaPurls said...

Definitely orange! Or, if you truly can't decide, maybe one of each? Love the blue :)

~Christina

Anne said...

My first instinct was yellow but I'm liking the orange too and think it would be fun. Great blue.

Patty said...

I'm voting orange! And motivated by this post...heading to Maine tomorrow!

Kate B said...

lemon.

janna said...

I vote for orange -- I love orange accents with blue. Okay, maybe that's because I'm a University of Illinois grad, but it's also a really happy combo, I think.

The inn looks really cool!

yoel said...

Usually I'd say orange, but with that vibrant blue, lemon's the winner!

Maureen said...

Definitely orange! Go for it!

Kathleen Dames said...

Oh, man, we were in Maine at the same time and didn't get together? Sigh. It was a lovely month for me up there. Looks like you had a great time :)