Thursday, August 02, 2012

Hi

 Here's why you haven't heard from me in a while.

 

 A little while ago, we hopped the back fence to our new neighbors' house for drinks.   A conversation about a sketchy guy in who always seemed to have things for sale that maybe fell off the back of the truck led me to say  "Hey, if he ever has kayaks, let me know."  And although the sketchy guy didn't have kayaks for sale, another of the guests at the house had these three in her garage, where they had sat unused and taking up space for years.   In a margarita-fueled urge to clean out the garage, she told me I could just  come over and get 'em.  

Turns out my sister had a U Haul the following Saturday, and the woman who offered didn't take back the offer when sober.   

So instead of knitting,  we spent Saturday afternoon cleaning these (critters had set up house in the ends - enough said), Sunday getting paddles and life vests, and Monday figuring out what kind of rack would fit on the car and hold 3 kayaks.  Tuesday, we drove over to LL Bean and watched the very capable guys who work there put this sporty looking rack up on my Honda roof.  

Yesterday Maya and I did this ( thanks to stepstools), without dropping a kayak, killing one another OR noticeably denting the car.  

 

We drove 5 minutes away from our driveway and got them off the car (again without the killing, dropping or denting) and carried them into the water right here:

 
After an hour or so, we came home where I poured half a glass of beer, half a glass of pear cider into my polka dot glass and picked up my knitting for the first time in about a week. 



When the drink was done, I turned to the knitting and did a little button band.  
The sweater  matches my new red boat, which makes me happy.


In already-knit news, I hope to post my late summer/early fall pattern sometime next week.  It's called Champagne, and if I was really thinking, I'd have christened one of the kayaks and took a photo!  (but not sure the bottle wouldn't bounce off the whatever-kayaks-are-made-of plasticy hull)

11 comments:

helloknitty.net said...

Three free kayaks? You hit the jackpot!

Knit-Zilla said...

Yes indeed . . . free kayaks are a JACKPOT! While my son was abroad in Africa, we purchased him 2 kayaks for his birthday ($350 ea.). Before he returned, we got a lot of use out of them. I'm sure you will really enjoy your's as well, and knitting can wait until you are exhausted from paddling.

AntiquityTravelers said...

Sweet! that is seriously awesome! I tried one of the relatives kayaks last time we were at camp and was so short/playful I rolled it in the middle of the lake. Thus, looking for a decent kayak so I don't have to borrow one! any more lying around your friend's garage? :)

Zonda said...

Definately the jackpot! What a lovely area to use them in too :) BTW, love pear cider ;)

Ellen Mason said...

We're on our way to Maranacook Lake with my 'yak in the back. I have cider in the fridge, thanks for the reminder to pack it! I'll cross it with a Guinness. Cheers!

Jody said...

you left out the GOOD part - the actually kayaking! Was it fun? Have you've been doing it for a long time? Where are the photos?
lol

Ness said...

AWESOME!!!

Turtle said...

how wonderful! when we moved from hawaii 7 years ago hubby promised to replace my kayak... each mothers day i remind the family... i have yet no replacement. (and i live on a lake!)

Seanna Lea said...

That is an awesome reason to be away from the blog. I'm glad your summer sounds like it is shaping up to be a fun one.

margaux said...

i love when pie in the sky ideas turn out! love the polka dot glass!

Sergio said...

i love when pie in the sky ideas turn out! love the polka dot glass!