Tuesday, August 14, 2012


So, Champagne was for those of you who aren't yet ready to put a pile of wool on your lap yet and admit that Fall is just around the corner.    But I realize there a quite a few of you are wrapping up your Ravellenic sweaters with visions of tweed in your heads, and I just spent a lovely weekend up in Maine with some very inspirational knitting folk, so it's time to take another look at  Planters Punch. 

This time, with Fall in mind.


 
  Because no matter what I tell myself, it's almost here.  Soon I'll be folding up my little red version and putting this one on instead.

It's amazing what a few small changes can do to the feel of a sweater!  A DK tweed replaces the cotton, 3/4 sleeves are added instead of capped ones, a deep ribbing goes where the rolled edge was and.... voila!  Planters Punch becomes a cozy and feminine pullover that's perfect with jeans and boots on a crisp day.  Just like its summer cousin, its knit seamlessly from the top down, and modifications couldn't be easier for your shape.


 I love the delicate cables in the brightly colored tweed, but in a neutral gray or pale brown, this would be a great wardrobe staple.  A classic shape, a little ease for layering, and some lovely detail.   I know I'll be wearing this one a lot.  


The pattern is for sale on the sidebar to the left or on Ravelry for $6.50.

--------------------------

Details for the winter version are below, and the rest of the information is on Ravelry:

Sizing:  32(34,36,28,40,42,44,46,48,50)
Gauge:  5.5 sts and 7.5 rows per 1"' in stockinette, lightly blocked
Needles:   #6/4mm or size to get gauge.  One needle size up for neckline bind off.
Yarn: Winter Version: Rowan Scottish Tweed DK in #011 900(950,1000,1050,1100,1150,1200,1250,1300,1350) yds


The photos are by my lovely friend and photographer Caro Sheridan, (as always) who steered me to this amazing POLKA DOT BUILDING for the photos.  Really, it's a brown building covered in yellow, blue and orange polka dots.  She knows the best places, I tell you.  I'm particularly proud that my ring matched the polka dots, which entertained me enough to keep my mind off the fact that it was about 105 degrees out when we shot these.

---------------

In addition to Caro, I have to shout out a little recognition to my friend Jessica (TanteJ if you know her on Ravelry)  who knit this up for me.   She's always been a great test knitter and a helpful voice on the Ravelry boards, so I was happy to have her hands for hire this summer.  The tweed sweater is her handiwork!   Thanks Jessica. 

6 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

Loving the blue dot ... Caro is amazing! But then I love that sweater ... the color, the pattern ... everything about it. Nicely done my friend :)

Dorothy said...

Nice, nice, nice-thanks!

Dorothy said...

Nice, nice, nice-thanks!

yoel said...

So pretty! The cables looks like bas-relief. It's so hard to find a light pullover design good for layering. Thanks!

Seanna Lea said...

Very nice sweater there. While I do mostly gravitate to cardigans (perfect for the mixed temperatures of the great outdoors and the cold air conditioned indoors), this one might have to be added to my short list.

Sarah-Hope said...

Loving this version of Planter's Punch. I may need to knit one for my sister.