Saturday, December 22, 2012

The last pattern in my recent batch of designs is Macallan   

Modeled photos, by Brooklyn Tweed/Jared Flood.

 I am absolutely honored to be a part of Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People series a second time.  His SHELTER is one of my favorite tweeds ever, his designs and aesthetic are gorgeous, and the opportunity to be included in such a beautiful collection is really humbling.  I've always been a fan, and it's just so special to get to be behind the scenes of something you admire so much.  
 Especially - twice!!

 For the first collection, I designed  Allegheny,  a top down wool dress, with a little vintage vibe.  

And for this collection, I opted for a less worn type of garment again.  I think the vest is an unappreciated but classic part of a woman's sweater wardrobe, and so many of us skip right past it for the more universally loved cardigans and pullovers.

I can't say how many of the knitters who completed their Alleghenies commented how they "never thought that they would wear a knitted dress..." but ended up loving their version and wearing it everywhere.   I figured if I could convince any number of ladies that they could love a dress, maybe I can convince them to love a vest too.  

With that in mind, Macallan is about about balance and fit and cables.  I wanted it to be classic and wearable, with a little something that would make it special or unexpected.  And it had to flatter a variety of shapes and sizes.

So, a stockinette V neck front and a heavily cabled back give the wearer classic, flattering lines in front, saving the surprise - that intricately cabled back, for the curve of the spine.  The cables tie into the classic feel of the sweater, but are the exact opposite of the simple design elements seen on the front.

But where there is detail on front,  I've paid special attention to what our various bodies need.   A fitted top half with a nice clean V  flatters most necks and bustlines, and looks great with a collared shirt peeking out beneath.   It goes out on Saturday with jeans, or to the office with a pencil skirt, and the length allows for a shirt to peek out below.

High waist shaping takes things in almost where an empire waist would, flattering busts and hiding a little belly.  Coming out of the shaping, I added a bit of extra ease below where that belly, or hips, or a layered shirt often needs a little room.

(these remaining, less attractive photos are by me, on my dressmaker dummy, to show specific details...)

The pockets are placed individually for each size, and are proportionally balanced to be evenly spaced between hip and tummy.  Plus, the larger sizes have larger size pockets.  These are placed high on the hip, exactly where a little distraction might hide a muffin top, and the detail on them is all up and down, not horizontal at all.

And, to avoid any extra bulk around the hips and still give you the visual detail, these are faux pockets!
(My husband is calling them fockets.  He thinks he's pretty funny.)

One of my favorite details on the vest are the cable ends which go straight into the ribbing, for a nice vertical line along the hem.  And the cables I chose are intricately detailed and very eye catching.  Creating that head-turning piece of the puzzle, right?

So for anyone who's said that they wish they could wear a vest, but never found one that would flatter,  give this one a try.   For all of you who said they wouldn't wear a knit dress and did,  I'm going to say that you would wear a knit vest as well!  

An added bonus is that it takes so much less time to knit!  No sleeves.

The vest is knit with LOFT held doubled, which creates a lovely round cable.  As someone who shies away from fingering yarn, this was a great way to give LOFT a shot.  Doubled, I could still knit it in #7s!   If you prefer your worsted yarn straight,  SHELTER or another worsted would work just fine.  


The pattern is for sale for $6.50 through Brooklyn Tweed, here or on Ravelry.   
Some details are below and the rest are on the Ravelry page.

Sizes:  (based on finished bust) 32.75(36.75,38.75,42, 45.75,47.25,52.75)"
Yarn:  Brooklyn Tweed LOFT  - 1120(1330,1505,1655,1895,2095,2470) yds.
 Brooklyn Tweed SHELTER - 570(665,755,850,950,1050,1235) yds.
Sample shown in LOFT, in Pumpernickel.
Gauge:  18 sts/30 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch with US#7/4.5mm, after blocking
Needle size:  US#4/3.5mm for ribbing,  US#7/4.5 for body of sweater


And as for the name, Macallan -  it's a Scottish single malt whiskey my husband absolutely loves.  The deep brown color of the yarn and the heavily cabled panel just said malt whiskey to me.

I have no recipe for it, since it's supposed to be enjoyed straight up.  
The 18 year old is the one, and I am TOLD, "It would be criminal to use this in a mixed drink."  


Seanna Lea said...

This is lovely, though I admit that I prefer either real pockets (at least big enough to put a workpass in) or no pockets at all. I'll have to check out the dress. I've been on a kick lately at least about the concept of a knitted dress. said...

Fockets.. *chuckles* love it. This design is both classic and interesting! I've never made a vest..

Ellen Mason said...

I adore surprises, and this one has like seven unexpected details. So, I adore this vest. I would wear it with a silk shantung skirt gathered to the hilt.

Thea said...

Yes you would, Ellen!! And you'd look amazing.

Lisa said...

All of your designs are just lovely. I kinda want to knit them all, which says a lot since I'm on the verge of going mad with Christmas knitting. :)

BeckyinVT said...

You're right, vests are sadly under rated! This is possibly my favorite from the whole WP4 collection!

Lori Utley said...

I love, love, love this vest! I'm actually crazy for all of your designs. Thank you for thinking of those of us with less than perfect bodies. I'm purchasing today, and can't wait to cast on.

Daisy said...

I'm switching for Macallan and I'm wondering - did the doubled Loft grow or did you block out the pieces to get the different gauge? Thanks!