Sunday, December 16, 2012

I have a little bottleneck  in the pattern release department over here, so I'm hoping you can forgive me if I release one pattern today and another pattern tomorrow.   There's a third in the wings for right after New Years and then I'll have the decks all cleared to space things out properly again for the new year. 

The first design is Moonshine, a sweater designed to fill a hole in my own wardrobe.

  I needed a long, lightweight cardigan in a neutral color to go with everything.   I wanted subtle detail, so that the sweater would add something to a variety of different outfits - without getting in the way.  Moonshine is designed to work with just about anything - jeans, a dress, or a tailored skirt and office pants (if I had those).   Really, it's just my new favorite go-to sweater.

 The lovely gray yarn, a simple lace repeat, delicate detail, and a perfect fit are the focus here.


And yep, it works perfectly with either jeans or a dress.

The yarn is Imperial Stock Ranch's Tracie Too, in a lovely shade of gray they call Rain.   Depending on the light, Rain is either a straight cloudy gray, a pale silvery shade, or has a hint of blue to it. 

This sport weight yarn is perfect for a layering cardigan, since the 100% Columbia wool is warm, but oh-so-very light and soft.  I am in love with the fact that it comes from a real-live, family-run ranch out in Oregon that's been in use since 1871.   If you don't know about Imperial Stock Ranch, you can read their story here.

Not exactly Moonshiney folk, but still very impressively old school, right?   I think the name is appropriate.

 The simple lace repeat is really anything but boring, and appears almost fluid when worked in a large panel.   You can see below the cool stitch definition where the lace flows in and out in waves.

The undulating lace also makes a distinct edge along the button band, which is crisply finished with a slipped stitch edging that goes all the way up to the shoulders.   It's a small detail that I think gives the sweater some polish.

 The lace is actually very easy to memorize and the cardigan is worked from the top down so there's no seaming involved.  The combination of stockinette, easy lace, and seamless construction makes Moonshine a great first lace garment - or maybe just an easy TV,  holiday, or travel sweater that you can work on when other things are happening around you.

Moonshine is designed with a little extra ease in the bust, and a bit less ease down below, so the whole thing is meant to skim your shape without clinging.   If you've knit one of my designs before, you know that the top down construction means that I have included a few pointers about how to modify this cardigan for your body, so you'll have a fit you like.  The sleeves are fitted to give the sweater a more tailored feel, and again, can be widened if you prefer a bit more room. 

The PDF is for sale on Ravelry for $6.50 or on the sidebar to the left.  Some details are below and the rest of the info is here

Yarn:   Tracie Too, by Imperial Stock Ranch.  A very generous 395 yds per skein.  This silvery gray is Rain.  
1300(1400,1500,1600,1700,1800,1900)(2000,2100,2200,2250,2300) yds

Needles:  US #5/3.75mm   long circulars for the body, DPNs or shorter circular needles for the sleeves. 

Gauge:  5.5 sts/8 rows per 1" in stockinette, lightly blocked.  

Sizing:  32(34,36,38,40,42,44)(46,48,50,52,54)", based on bust size.  Schematic measurements are in pattern.


As for the Moonshine itself,  I did finally find some up at the New Hampshire Liquor Store, since stills are hard to come by here in Boston.  And I've got to be honest about it - this stuff smells and tastes like rubbing alchohol.  It was not good -- and nope, I couldn't bring myself to make a cocktail with it.

Diana gave me a recipe for Moonshine Marshmallows, but even those seem like too much time spent with this stuff.  

Do you see that label?   It's 40% alc/vol and 80 proof.    Am pretty sure this is what was in the Garbage Can Punch my freshman year at college.   I was smart enough to stay away from it then, and after one sip tonight, I plan on continuing to stay away from it now. 

Instead, I decided it was a good night for a Cosmopolitan, which was waaaaaay tastier

 1.5 oz vodka
.5 oz triple sec
1.5 oz cranberry juice
lemon twist, plus a shot of lemon bitters


So, enjoy Moonshine and check back in again soon  - for this:

PS: The credit for all the lovely project photographs goes to Amanda Johnston again.
and PPS:  Blogger is adding strange spaces to the post, it's not you.  Or me.


Kim said...

Okay...THIS may be my first sweater project. The no-seaming seems appealing since I have no clue what I'm doing! Love this look!

collegeknitting said...

Wow- I don't normally like top-down sweaters, but I might have to make this one. It fills a gap in my wardrobe, too!

AntiquityTravelers said...

seriously cute sweater Thea!

margaux said...

Gorgeous!!! said...

That is beautiful! and super versatile! I'm a little scared of cardigans (button bands, etc) but no seaming sounds pretty appealing..

And I sympathize with the inability to find particular alcohols in Boston. They sure don't make it easy.. *sigh*

Hilary said...

SO pretty, Thea! I love the styling, too, both the jeans/boots outfit and the super cute dress.

Turtle said...

love it! may have to make this one... n the drink. A girlfriend just gave me a stocking full of booze minis and a full size of moonshine, mmmmm!

Ness said...

Gorgeous! The shop I work at just started carrying Imperial Yarns, and Tracie Too is definitely my favorite! I can't wait to make this!

Kym said...

Okay, Thea. Now THIS one might be my favorite Baby Cocktails design ever. Just gorgeous!

Seanna Lea said...

I would happily take the moonshine off of your hands and make marshmallows or some other bizaaro item out of it. Heh.

So many of your cardigans fit my wardrobe needs. I'm just not sure which to make first!