Friday, January 18, 2013

So, after publishing Chocolate Stout,  I got a comment from a fellow designer who's coming out with a grandpa-esque cardigan that has a shawl collar and a slouchy fit and some cozy pockets -- kind of like Chocolate Stout, but not exactly.   Hers is actually quite different from mine, but it is definitely the same overall shape and idea.  Since I am not sure how she likes to do things, I will remain mum about her sweater for now, except to say that it is a lovely cardigan.  And that it definitely came from the idea of an Old Man who could have been good friends with the Old Man that was in my head a few months ago.
But the note was well timed, because this is something I have thought alot about in the past couple of years.  

How so many of us do begin with the same nugget in an idea - be it a stitch pattern, a yarn, a collar detail, a sleeve length,  or a sweater shape - but we end up putting our own spin on that idea and seeing the possibilities with different eyes from each other.   Often I will find a cable in one pattern that reminds me of a cable in the other, but the way in which those cables were used each time speaks to a different point of view, and a different way of wearing the cable once it's been translated.  

 I love this piece of our world, and I've been wanting to run with it a little.  Plus, it's an excuse to have some fun with my fellow designers and do something where we collaborate a bit.   

Soon I'll be publishing the first in a series of "Mixed Drink" patterns.

-----------------------

In which Amy Christoffers and I play with lace hats together. 

 

Photo by Amanda Johnston, and thanks to Maya and Cade for taking a hike in the woods with us!

12 comments:

craftivore said...

Yay for Mixed Drinks! I love the idea of the two of your collaborating and the hats are ridiculously cute.

QuiltedSimple said...

Yay! Getting pics of Jessie in the hat this weekend!!!!!

Gudrun Johnston said...

Funnily enough I'm also working on a grandpa-esque cardigan...but for boys! Can't wait to see more of what you and Amy have been getting up to together...what fun!

Seanna Lea said...

I have never designed a sweater, but now I want to design either a cabled sweater (hey, is it reasonable to start an sweater design based on a potential pattern name?) or an old man sweater to join the legions of beautiful oms on the Internet.

Sewfine Quilts said...

Can I purchase baby Cocktails anywhere?

Thanks
Linda

rachelb said...

oh man am I in trouble.... you've just added more to the queue... and hats..... swoon!

Kristen said...

Maybe there can never be enough grandpa-esque sweater patterns!

Dorothy said...

Mixed drinks sounds very exciting! I can't wait to see!!!!

Hilary said...

Wow, both of you on your own are awesome enough, but a Thea/Amy collaboration?! VERY cool. The hats look gorgeous!

Kate B said...

Great idea!

Kathleen Dames said...

Great to see you this past weekend! Your collaboration looks fun :)

margaux said...

I love it! Cannot wait to see the pattern!! :-)