Thursday, January 03, 2013

 How about these guys?  My new favorite stitch markers. 
 

 Made out of toy wooden beads, - If you have girls, you know what I'm talking about.  Because you had the big bucket full of them.   And your girls put all kind of letters and stars and fish and bears and flowers on their necklaces, and they made you big colorful strings of the same on your birthday.  With the bears and the fish and the stars, and a giant sparkly stone in the center.    

You see... I was visiting my friend Cynthia last week and happened to pick up her girls' Old Bucket.  Digging through it, I realized that buried in the pile were all these way cool beads, and with my knitting only feet away, I informed her that they would make absolutely perfect stitch markers.  So she made me this set right there on the spot!  (worked out pretty well for me, right?)



And then we dug through the bucket and found a whole bunch of cool things that can find new life as knitterly accessories.



She made a purple set with fish....
 

and matched a few orange barrels and a few flowers with more fish...


and then dipped into an entire Carmen Miranda fruit collection...



with bananas and pea pods and apples and grapes.   I kinda love these.


Plus, she has a million glass beads. 


She's usually making lovely jewelry to sell on Etsy and blogging about the world of beading and the  history behind the materials she chooses, but I'm afraid I got her hooked on a tangent.

Pairing the sets up has proven to be absolutely addicting, and the idea of Not Throwing Out the beads is a pretty big draw, so she has decided to keep digging through the bucket for treasure and pairing up the good ones.   It's actually pretty fun - the digging and pairing up.

And now she has more than she needs - especially since she doesn't knit.  So, she's adding them to her Etsy shop.  You can either purchase a set she's made or, if you pick your own colors and quantites, she'll match up a custom set for you. 

Prices are from $8 - $12.

I do feel a bit responsible for the whole thing, since Cynthia - yes - doesn't even knit, so maybe you want to take a set off her hands?
They're fun, they're useful and you save a whole bucket of beads from the nothingness that stretched before them.

A link to her shop is right here.


7 comments:

Dorothy said...

Her stuff is so pretty; I have several pairs of her earrings, because you mentioned her jewelry in a post some time ago. Love the Carmen Miranda markers too! I have to batten down the credit card before I read anything from you, Thea. :)

Evelyn said...

I love seeing objects repurposed and given a whole new life!

Seanna Lea said...

Very cute. Unfortunately with my desire to work only on size 5s and under (mostly way under), I only use the tiny rubbery rings.

O~ said...

I ordered a set of glass beads in green being shipped out tomorrow! So excited! She has lovely jewelry as well!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Thea you are so sweet to write this post about my Kitschy Stitch Markers! There was a flurry of activity at my house last night stuffing envelopes for orders!!

BeadedTail said...

Cynthia is very talented and those stitch markers turned out really cute! I only wish I knew how to knit so I could use them! :)

O~ said...

Oh My Stars recv'd my stitch markers today!!! Love. Love. Love!