Thursday, March 14, 2013

  Introducing Bartender's Choice


These are a great excuse to use up some gorgeous half skeins of  Primo Sport you have lying around.  Or, maybe a great excuse to buy a few new skeins in colors you have been dying to use together?   It's your choice...   (Hence the name.)


After spending a few hours in the Plucky Knitter booth at Vogue Knitting Live, I just had to start pairing skeins together, and by the end of the day, I knew a colorwork Plucky pattern was next in the works.   

The combos were so fun to play with -- for the  yellow mitts, I wanted to use a tone-on-tone effect, so 2 of the 3 colors have yellow in the base.  The purple mitts have more of a distinct contrast between the hand and wrist colors but still have a little tone-on-tone within the diamond motif.   I'm not sure which I like better, or if I need to do a third pair, using the leftover yellow and light blue together now.  I guess we'll find out when summer comes and I need a smaller project for the beach, right?
 

Anyways, these are a great basic stranded project - the tops and bottoms of the mitts are simple stockinette, and the diamond and oval motif is only 27 rounds deep.  A small commitment, yes?  I love how the detail is both bold and delicate at the same time, and it creates so many different ways to transition between the wrist and hand color.   Plus, the motif is mostly worked 2 colors at a time, with only a few rounds of 3 at a time in the center.   Again, a good introduction to both.


I have designed the mitts with fit in mind, so the forearm portion is a bit wider than the hand and wrist section, and you can easily adjust your stitch counts within the stockinette portions to customize things for your own hands.   You can also knit these with a shorter arm section if you prefer - or if you find you have a little less yarn than you'd hoped in your leftover skein.


The pattern is available on the sidebar at the left, or on Ravelry for $5.50.  
Some details are below and the rest are on the Ravelry page. 
-----------------------------

Yarn:  3 skeins Plucky Knitter Primo Sport (about 100yds for wrist and hand colors, 50yds of the diamond accent color)
 Jazz Age, Message in a Bottle and Wintry Mix (purple mitt)  Princess Phone, Wintry Mix and Rapunzel (yellow mitt)

Needles:  US#4/3.5mm needles, or size to get gauge.  Circulars for magic loop or DPNs.

Gauge:  6 sts/8 rows per 1" in stockinette, after blocking.

Size:  Width at arm = 8.25", width at wrist/hand = 7.75".   Length = 11.25" from top to bottom.



------------

 Lastly, for the drink, I sometimes do walk into a bar and ask the bartender to surprise me.    

And the last time I asked,  I got a gin and tangerine drink that I loved.   I can't take credit for the recipe below  (I found it online), but it reminds me of this awesome bartender's choice drink and it's easy to make in your own kitchen.

Tangerine gimlet

2 ounces Hendrick's gin
1.5 ounces tangerine juice
1.5 ounces lime juice
Tangerine peel
Ice

Combine the gin, tangerine and lime juices in a jigger with ice, shake and strain into a chilled glass.
Add a twist of tangerine peel.


 Enjoy!


5 comments:

Seanna Lea said...

These look awesome and despite the attempts of spring to arrive, I'm likely to be cold running well into May.

If you don't have 3 good colors, do you think the design will work well with just 2 colors?

craftivore said...

Love.

Hilary said...

I just love these mitts! And I think it's so cool that the colorwork pattern kind of looks like a 2-dimensional cable. It's such a Thea look! Awesome.

Stripeyspots said...

I love those mitts. The yellow ones have my heart beating faster!

Gwen said...

Love the color combinations. I think I need to play with some of this plucky knitter yarn. Its looks to die for)