Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Introducing Cape Cod, a simple, slouchy pullover for spring and summer.   

Lots of stockinette, a bit of lace, and distinct edgings make for a fun and versatile knit.   Top down construction makes for easy modifications and no seaming.  Perfect knitting for when the sun comes out and you have a cocktail on the porch.

The two lace panels on the front are actually the halves of the the arrowhead motif on back, worked so the design slants towards the center of the body for a flattering effect.  I loved this lace - detailed without being fussy, with a bit of texture to it.   And of course, easier to work than you'd think.  ;)

 I've knit my Cape Cod in The Plucky Knitter's Plucky Sweater - in a crazy gorgeous red/orange called Karat Stix.  

Plucky Sweater is a delicate merino and nylon blend, so Cape Cod is light to wear, but still warm.  Perfect on a cool night, and still good when the season changes.   However, Cape Cod would lend itself perfectly to a cotton or silk blend if you wanted a more summery vibe without any wool content.

I love the bright pop of color, the comfy fit and the simple lines of this one.  Melissa is not keeping this one.

Cape Cod is for sale on the sidebar at the left or on Ravelry for 6.50.  
Some information is below and the rest of the details can be found here

Yarn:  Plucky Sweater (270 yds per skein) in Karat Stix. 950(1050,1150,1250,1350,1400,1450)(1550,1650,1750,1850,1900)yds. 

Needles:  US#6/4mm needles, or size to get gauge. Plucky Sweater is a light worsted, so if subbing traditional worsted, US#7/3.5mm needles may do the trick.   

Sizing   -  Finished bust measurement:  33.75(36.25,37.75,40.25,41.75,44.25,45.75) (48.25,49.75,52.25,53.75,56.25)”   I suggest picking the size that gives you 3-4" of ease based on your actual bust.  For a more fitted sweater, pick the size just above your bust.  I do not suggest negative ease, as the lace will stretch where you don't want it stretching.

Gauge  -  5 sts, 7 rows = 1” flat in stockinette, after blocking. 

And for the drink? 
 This is how you have a Cape Cod.  Outside.   

The recipe is about as simple as the sweater.

1.5- 2oz vodka
4-6 oz cranberry juice
slice of lime
ice cubes
(you can use sparkling cranberry or mix with seltzer for a spritz version)


The earrings worn here are by my friend Cynthia Machata, who always gives me such gorgeous jewelry, and her stuff can be found on her blog Antiquity Travelers.   Melissa can't keep these either.  Although I think she still does have 'em.....


Ellen Mason said...

One should plan a vacation to oh, Ptown or Dennis or Falmouth, eat lobstah, and stay until the sweater is done. Then wear it with cut-offs and long legs.

lounatine said...

This sweater is so beautiful!!!

Bridget said...

I think I need this pattern. Yes, I do.

Julie said...

Now I am torn between knitting this or Narragansett for my summer sweater, but I am not torn about the Karat Stix color. Love it! Need a sweater in this color to watch my boys of summer: the SF Giants!

Kathy said...

Oooh, that boat neck. I love it.

Kathleen said...

I live on Cape Cod, and I love this sweater. Have to make it! Think Plucky will have kits for this pattern?

PaolaeMargherita said...

Wonderfull colour and great model!


Anonymous said...

Kathleen, there won't be kits, but keep your eyes on the next Plucky Update. I think there could be lots of Sweater.....

Hilary said...

This is such a pretty piece...I'm in love with the wide neckline! Sooooo elegant with the lace!

Grannyannie said...

I just ordered this and am waiting for Sarah to post another Plucky offering as I want to do it in a coral color, something with the word copa in it. I walked into Knit Wit in Portland today and Suzie, the owner was blocking a lovely Vodka Lemonade sweater. She said Amy Herzog is coming to Portland on June. 5th to promote her book. I suggested she bring you along to push your great patterns.

AntiquityTravelers said...

hey thanks! Great hang'n with you guys - as always