Friday, May 31, 2013


As school winds down, I'm in a fiber-related nesting frenzy over here. I'm planning and organizing and swatching my little heart out to try and fit things in before people are home around here and I have to share.  Because they will be, soon enough, and then my quiet semi-organized space will not my be own anymore and the thinking will be interrupted.  Alot.  I do have an office, and it's a designated spot for all things BabyCocktails, but it's not 100% private, or nicely hidden, as maybe I'd like it to be.  And those people that live here with me like to do things like change the music and use the computer and talk to me and make me do things for them while I'm working.   They have also found that it's very easy to convince me into going out someplace like to the beach or kayaking.   Which is fun, but not so productive for the design thing.

I have until June 26.  18 more days of till-2pm silence around here.

And since it's a thousand degrees out right now and I can't fathom picking up the yarn, I'll show you.  This is MY half of the office.    Space for my yarn shelves, my bookshelves, some overflow yarn and project piles, a chair of crap, bulletin boards, project folders, and my and dressmaker dummy.  However, BabyCocktailsland is - as mentioned above - half of the room.



On the other side of the room are the family computer desk and printer and filing cabinets.  It is no longer my domain, even though this the computer on which I do all  my stuff and I do get to decorate it with my Bad Art - a collection in progress.   We are a one-computer family, so I have to share with them - and "they" will soon be here all day, including the newly laid off husband, who will claim his spot in the chair for an intense round of job hunting.  And I will  have to hand that chair over, since advertising pays way better than pattern design.  (Any marketing and advertising leads/connections in the Boston Area are appreciated....)  


Yep, I'll be sharing the office and getting quality time with the love of my life soon enough, and the kids will be in and out.  In and out of those French doors which lead to the dining room and kitchen and rest of the house, and the sliders that go to the deck, since my world is not properly hidden exactly away from the action, as explained above.   

So, my time lording over the computer, the musical choices, and the space itself is both lovely and limited right now, and I am going to use these remaining 18 days as best I can.  I have a written schedule.
--------------------------------------

Goals for next week include more work on a Plucky Project for August, playing with a light summer vest concept that may or may not happen, and getting as far as I can on this design  - it's Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort, which you know I am a big fan of.   A while ago I realized that although I love V necks, I hadn't designed one.  (how did that happen?).   So I did.  Anyways, my goal is to have this published in July.  According to my list, that means it should be all knit next week, and then written the week after.


Before that though, the list says I can share something more immediately gratifying....

 Next week I'll be releasing Margarita, a lacy little cardigan that's just about finished in testing! 

I  did post a hint about this one in my Ravelry group a couple of days back and have heard from the folks at O-wool that there was a run on a few of you are already stocking up on Balance in Peridot!   Beautiful yarn, in a beautiful color - I can't really blame you.  :)


And, today's list included buying the tequila to make those margaritas. 
I'll be practicing this weekend.

14 comments:

maryse said...

oh i know it's not the time for an extra expense, but you need you own computer. i love the color of the walls in your office.

Anonymous said...

So excited---items I can wear in the warm weather!! Good luck meeting your goals. You are so diligent and SO MUCH FUN !!! You just gave me hints of what my two summer projects will be!!!! Thanks, Deeden

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I have the exact same sewing box. Inherited from a relative and currently holding Settler of Catan game pieces.

Thea said...

That was my Grandma's sewing box - it still has her needles and many, many, many old buttons and snaps in it. ON top are her white gloves from the 1960s. I keep thinking I'll make knit gloves inspired by the embroidery on them....

Seanna Lea said...

I don't know what kind of computer you are doing your designing on now, but I might know a number of people (myself included) who have an extra computer that you might be able to have.

Ellen Mason said...

What happened to your elbow? Did you lose a wrestling match? ... Or win?

Thea said...

Ha! My sister's elbow. Not sure where she got that.

And Seanna Lea, you are too nice!

Dorothy said...

I think your office is cute, but I understand the lack of privacy/time. However, it's the laid off husband part I'm responding to. Have way too much and too long history of that with my electrical engineer husband, so believe me, if he has any LinkedIn or other contacts for your area in advertising, I will give you a heads up. And if you hear of any electrical engineering openings pretty much anywhere on earth.....

Hilary said...

Ugh, I am SO sorry to hear about the layoff. :( Fingers crossed for a very short job hunting period and that the new job ends up being a change for the better.

And, for now, I hope you enjoy the quiet office while you can! And have fun practicing with margaritas...

Suze said...

Sending well wishes your way!

And boy am I loving those sweaters :)

janna said...

So sorry about the hub's lay-off! I'm also so sorry you have to share a computer - I'm pretty sure I could not do that!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the job search. My husband was laid off this time last year & eventually found something in 6 months but it is a stressful to go through. I sympathize & hang in there.

Meredith MC said...

I can't wait for Margarita. I love that stitch pattern! I'm a teacher/librarian and I can't wait for school to be out. The end of the year is always nuts. In a (sorta) fun way.
So you are losing some privacy and blessed thinking-time, and I am gaining some. For both of us, Autumn will come again, probably a lot sooner than we can imagine.
Try and enjoy the chaos while it lasts -that's what I do!

Clayton Steadham said...

You still have enough time to think about what design you'll incorporate in your office space. It's not necessary that you have a hidden office, you just have to make sure that your important documents are kept properly so that no one else can read it. You can still organize your place. You just have to take your time to organize and thinking what files to keep on your table and those files that needs to be stored in your cabinets. :)

Metroffice.com