Thursday, June 13, 2013

OK, so I logged onto Ravelry this morning and saw the first Fall patterns popping up.  Wait up!  I don't know about you guys, but I'm still getting ready for summer, and not at all ready for a big wool sweater on my lap just yet.  

Instead, how about a quick summer knit?  
Short sleeves, a bit of lace, and open fronts mean that this cardigan will fly off the needles in no time.   

Margarita  features a really distinct lace panel on back that's absolutely addictive to knit, and way easier than it seems, since the geometric nature of the diamonds is rhythmic and makes mistakes easy to spot as you work them.  (ask me how I know)

 It's an easy toss-on cardigan for summer.  The bold lace on back is echoed in the lace detail that finishes the ribbed collar, and the casual length and short sleeves make it perfect to throw over a sundress or shorts.  The fit is open, meant to show off what's underneath, but directions are included to make the fit more traditional if you like a more closed silhouette. 

I worked this in O-Wool Balance, in a gorgeous minty green called Peridot.  (oh, this green!!)  Balance is a 50/50 blend of organic cotton and wool, and it adds the perfect casual, but distinct vibe to the lace.  I think that this yarn hits the perfect balance of light and soft and warm, and it's just a bit rustic, which I'm always looking for.   It makes Margarita feminine, but not too fussy or girly.  Something I love in a sweater - so expect to see Balance around here again!


Margarita is for sale on the sidebar to the left, or on Ravelry for $6.50. 

All the details are on the Ravelry page,  but a few basics are below:

Yarn - O-Wool Balance -50% organic wool, 50% organic cotton, in Peridot. 600(650,700,750,800,850 900)(950,1000,1050,1150,1200)yards. 130 yds per skein.

Needles - US#7/4.5mm (long circs for the cardigan and collar, DPNs or magic loop for sleeves)  

Notions - Stitch markers, darning needle, waste yarn or stitch holders.

Sizing - Actual finished sizes: 28.75(30.5,32.75,35,36.75,38.5,40.5)(42,44,46,49,51)” at bust. Choose the size that gives you about 2” of negative ease, based on actual bust, for the fit shown.  Modified shaping options allow you to add 4, 4.5, or 6” to this measurement.  Revise yardage if you use modified shaping.

Gauge - 5 stitches, 7 rows per inch on US#7/4.5mm needles in stockinette, Lace panel measures 10” across on back.


Since summer is just starting, it's the perfect time to make aome Margaritas to drink while you knit? 

First there's the classic:

Traditional Margarita

Salt for rimming the glass
1.5 oz tequila
2 oz fresh lime juice
.5 oz Cointreau or Triple Sec (I prefer Cointreau)

If using salt, place in dish.  Moisten the rim of your glass with damp paper towel and dip in the salt.
Fill glass with ice, add tequila, lime juice, salt and Cointreau and stir. 
Add slice of lime and serve right away.

Then there's the lazyman's way:

Easy Quick Margarita - great for a pitcher

salt for rimming glasses 
More tequila
1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
Simple Limeade (this stuff isn't too sweet) 
or for a fun twist

Again, place salt in dish and rim glasses.
Pour about 1.5 oz of tequila for each glass you intend to make, and .5 of the Cointreau.
Add the lime juice and about 4 oz of the Limeade or San Pelligrino for each serving.
Add ice and stir. 
Slice a few limes and add to top.
You may not want to do the math on the tequila here - I just pour about 1/5 or 1/4 of the liquid.  Then splash the Cointreau in. 

or, something kind of fun and totally different, that I found online:

Beer Margaritas

1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
1/4 cup coarse salt
2 (12-ounce) bottles your favorite beer, chilled (I use Corona, regular, not light, but that’s just me)
1/2 cup frozen concentrate limeade, thawed
1/2 cup chilled tequila
Ice cubes

Rub lime wedges around rims of 4 margarita glasses. Dip rims into salt to coat lightly. In a medium pitcher, combine beer, limeade, and tequila. Fill prepared glasses with ice, then with margarita mixture. Garnish with remaining lime wedges. Serve immediately.



Anonymous said...

Love it!

Hilary said...

Beautiful as always, Thea! I'm with you -- I'm nowhere near ready for fall knits (I actually released a bamboo tank pattern yesterday, which is about as un-fall-y as you get.) But anyhoo, Margarita is awesome and I love that geometric lace!

karentempler said...

I love this lace pattern! said...

Now you have me craving margaritas! There's this place in downtown Boston that does a fabulous blood orange chili pepper margarita. It's raining like crazy, but I still want one immediately.

janna said...

I've been busy and out of town so am catching up, and the thing I have to comment on is the Beer Margarita recipe! (The hand knits are gorgeous, too, of course.) Anyway, Beer Margaritas always remind me of summers in the backyard when I lived in San Antonio. Margaritas are ubiquitous there, but the beer ones -- always made with Corona -- are so easy, and you don't need a blender. Now you've made me homesick for SA, but I'll bet I could drink one on my patio here in Iowa, too!