Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Introducing my newest pattern, Silver Gin Fizz.   If you are going off to Rhinebeck, it's something to shop for and if you aren't, then it's a knitty treat you definitely deserve - and you can probably start today and finish before most of us pull back into our driveways on Sunday night.


This one came to be because I was in the mood for some cozy texture. I was in the mood for a big, squooshy cowl without any sleeves or shaping to worry about.   After three sweater projects - one lace, one cabled, and one ribbed - my fingers wanted something rhythmic and quick, so this was my reward - a little instant gratification.   For that, a cowl is perfect.  No shaping, no fit to worry about, and no seams.  It was exactly what I needed!


The Plucky Knitter's Traveler Aran is thick and soft and begs to be used in bold texture or wrapped around a neck, and I had two skeins of the perfect gray in stash already.  (It's called Flannel.)  Barbara Walker's Drop Stitch Pattern had been stickied in my bookshelf for a few months and when I swatched one with the other, my hands wanted to keep going.


So they did.  

I love how the yarn takes this motif - slipped stitches give the fiber a little extra density and squooshiness, but the silk in the yarn keeps it light and fluffy.  On the back side, the gathers create ribbed lines of of square-ish pillows (there's a photo below showing the reverse), and on the front, the gathered stitches create this:


The pattern is for sale here on the patterns page of the blog, but for now, it's on Ravelry for $5.00.  Some of the details are below and the rest are on the Ravelry page, where you'll see the test knitter projects pop up in the next few days.  The pattern is easy to modify for different lengths or widths by changing the amount of repeats.

Yarn:  2 skeins Plucky Knitter Traveler  Aran in Flannel (220 yards ea) If subbing, I recommend a soft aran fiber with a nice drape to it. 

Needles:  US#9/5.5 mm or size to get gauge

Gauge:   In pattern, you want 3 sts per 1"/7.5 rows.   The motif uses slipped stitches and puckers up, so a gauge swatch in pattern is necessary.  

Finished Size:  12" wide, 48" long


As for the drink, a  Silver Gin Fizz is one of my favorites - simple, refreshing and fun to make.  And it's kind of light and puffy, like the cowl.

Silver Gin Fizz

Juice of  a half lemon
1 tsp sugar
1.5 oz gin
1 egg white

Shake the above with ice in a jigger and srain into highball glass.  Fill with soda water.  (I also like these with grapefruit or orange juice)



So happy weekend everybody, I'll be back on Sunday with a Rhinebeck recap.   If you are going and you see me there, be sure to say hi!  I'll either have my Beekman Tavern on, or an upcoming cabled number called Brandied Cherry.....

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!

Evelyn said...

Oooh, I love this cowl sooo much!

Hilary said...

This is the coziest, squishiest, prettiest thing I have ever seen. Want! And I hope you had a great time at Rhinebeck!