Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I'm still going with September Morn, because I kind of love the name with for this new sweater design of mine.  The photos are all leafy and the light near the lake was hazy that morning, and the sweater is the prettiest pale green and it all just goes together in my head.

And since I'm the sweater knitter and the sweater namer and the blog writer around here, and nobody else gets to say "No, it's October", the name is staying. 

September Morn is a simple, versatile pullover with a generous cowl neck, a great deal of stockinette, and a few fun details.  In designing this one, I was really thinking about all the Vodka Lemonade knitters out there who have told me that they really appreciate a classic sweater shape with a little bit of unexpected detail.

With that in mind, I made sure that September Morn would feature lots of stockinette for easy knitting, but I have added a few spots where attention could be paid and a few new techniques can be learned.   Nothing intimidating, just enough to keep you thinking ;)  Like the detail on the sleeve - that ribbing that goes to just above the elbows was the starting point for the whole design this time.   Easy, but kinda different, right?

And it looks pretty with the ribbing along the raglan seams and sleeves.

I also added a little delicate texture down around the cuffs and hem.

And I made sure that September Morn would feature top down construction since that's the other thing that you guys love about your Vodka Lemonades.  So any shaping or modifications for your size are a piece of cake, and instructions are included in the pattern, as always.  You can play with the depth and width of the cowl, adjust the fit at any part of your body, or alter the length of sleeves and body as you please.

The yarn is Shalimar Yarn's Enzo Worsted, a soft and delicate merino-cashmere-nylon mix that the lovely Kristi dyes up and offers in a rainbow of colors.  I loved this pale greenish gray, which is called Silver Sage - it's a little unexpected, and still works like a versatile neutral with jeans or cords or a skirt.


The pattern alone is available HERE for $6.50 on my blog patterns page and all the details and test knits are on Ravelry.    You can purchase a kit with both pattern and yarn through Shalimar HERE.  Kits will go on sale on Wednesday, Oct 30 at 12 noon EST  and be available as long as supplies last -- and that link will be live when the kits are up.

A few details on the sweater are below and the rest of the information is on the Ravelry page:

Yarn:  Shalimar Yarns Enzo Worsted  (235 yds per skein)  Shown in Silver Sage
Needles:  US#7/4.5 mm and US#8/5mm needles - or size to get gauge
Gauge:  5 st, 7 rows per 1" in stockinette.  Based on blocked fabric.
Sizing:  32.5(35.5,37.25,39.5,42.5)(44.75,48,52,54.5) finished width at bust.  Melissa is wearing my sweater with 2.5" of ease.
Yardage:  1050(1150,1250,1350,1450)(1550,1650,1850,1950) 


The cocktail for this one is easy too.

Fresh juice from a half lemon (lime works too)
1 tsp grenadine
1 egg white
1.5 oz light rum
ice cubes

Shake all ingredients in a shaker and strain into glass.



Suze said...

what a beautiful, classic design! I think my favorite part is that big squooshy neck

MarmePurl said...

Just when I was about to go searching for a pullover to knit up. perfect.

PaolaeMargherita said...

Simply perfect, and I need a pull like this; here in Como the autumn is often rainy, so I like to have a warm pull with a cowl like this, very warm and very soft, when you are walking under your umbrella and all around you is dump and grey.
I've just purchased it, thank you, and happy Halloween, in Italy we don't have this tradition!
I don't have the yarn you use, may be I will use a Manos Clàsica in a pale soft sky blu.
Paola, Como, Italy

Thea said...

it will be beautiful in pale blue Paola! :)

Kathy said...

Thea, I love your blog. One thing that would really help a lot would be posting the date of your blog post next to the time. I often don't know if I've already read the post or not. Or, I assume it's from today, which may also be wrong. Thanks!

Hilary said...

Hey, I for one wish it were September all year long, so I think the name is perfect! Also, I think this is my favorite thing that you've ever designed. And I am a HUGE fan of all of your designs. This is just the most perfect turtleneck/cowlneck pullover I've ever seen!