Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Thanks for all the comments on that last post!  I'm happy to see that you guys are still out there, given the lack of reasons to come back and read lately.   In the spirit of trying to fix that though, a little update on what's on the needles as we coast into vacation over here.  It turns out I've been working with a theme, and I didn't even realize it. 

Did you ever go shopping and when you got home, saw that all the the things you bought were striped?  Or seem to fall in the same color palate?  Well, I went into my office and realized that many of the yarn groupings and projects were mixed colors.  I'm having a little trouble committing to just one at a time. It's not a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing.

This project is the one I just finished.  It's knit in 3 colors - Blueberry Sour, Miniature Lilacs and Princess Phone - in Plucky Primo Worsted. It was my atttempt at a little free-form colorwork.  I had picked a motif and brought the yarn along over Thanksgiving to see where it went, so I could practice the proper way to do stranded colorwork (learning the RIGHT finger positions and such, thank you Mary Jane Mucklestone!).  And this is where it went.

Currently on the needles is the project below -  in Plucky Primo Aran.  It's a combination of Gris and Medieval, and it's going to eventually be a two-color cardigan.    The pattern there is unblocked, so you can't really tell if it's lace or cables or both, and I'm going to keep it under wraps for now.   But I love these two grays together.  

Up next are these three skeins on my chair.   They are a combination of Jill Draper's Hudson in a gorgeous pale blue and purple, and they are about to be knit into a textured, ribbed motif that I love in a sweater of Zoe's.  I just have to figure out how I want to work it and then how I want to use it in a big, chunky cowl.  I'm kind of psyched to play with this, and have been ever since she bought that  little sweater.   Always fun to see where the inspiration comes from...

There's more, but I have much to do and want to leave you with a drink recipe.  Staying with my theme of mixing things, this is a sangria recipe I found on a blog called Pretty Plain Jane's.  She called it a Fall Sangria, but I think it's pretty perfect mid winter too.   (This is her photo, since it's much nicer than mine...)

2 apples (honeycrisp) chopped up into slices.  She peeled hers.  I didn't.
750 ml bottle of chardonnay
1/2 cup of peach brandy
1/4 cup honey
2 oranges, 1 quartered
1 lemon, sliced
1 lime sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
2 slices of ginger - each about the size of a quarter 
3 whole cloves
2 tblspoons sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
club soda

In a pitcher, combine the chardonnay,brandy and honey.  Mix.  Add all fruir except 1 apple and 1 orange (save those for now).  Add cinammon sticks, ginger and clove. Refrigerate overnight.

Next day, strain liquid into pitcher and add the second apple.   On a small plate, combine cinnamon sugar and rim glasses.

Place rimmed glasses on table with remaining chopped apple and orange, bucket of ice and soda water.   To serve, add ice to each glass, pour sangria mixture in, and top with club soda.  Garnish with the a little of the second chopped apple and orange when you are done.   



Seanna Lea said...

I love the color work cowl. It looks like it would also be a good stash buster.

Ellen Mason said...

Jill's yarn kills me. I have it in cherry. And that sweater stitch, yeah baby.

Linda Choudoir said...

I just love everything you are working on, especially the stranded colorwork cowl. I've been on a cowl kick lately and these kind go so quick. And the two color cardigan looks very fun:) Your project peeks always give me a little thrill!

Poohtum said...

Love everything you do - my almost 13 year old daughter can't wait for the mango smoothie - thanks