Thursday, December 12, 2013

Again, there has been a bit of blog silence around  here.   But you get busy and something has got to give, right?  Apparently it's the blog.  I promise it's not the actual knitting - that keeps going at a steady hum in the background.  

In fact, I've knit the sweater below twice in the last month or so.  Picked up the needles with a vague plan and paid the price again.  Old dog, old tricks.


I bought this gorgeous alpaca - merino - silk single ply at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool last year, because I just had to.  It's called Lyra, and is from Ball and Skein.   And it's soooo cool.

Ball and Skein is always one of my favorite festival booths, and Judy always has really wonderful stuff, but this yarn was just so different - it's soft and hazy and almost ethereal.  I had to grab some, though I had no idea what I wanted to do with it.  The important word there is "some"-  since I bought  just UNDER a sweater's worth, in a color that no longer exists.   (Think, Thea!!)

Looking at it this fall, I decided it needed to be a "going out" sweater, so I sketched and cast on and began.  Then, as I got halfway up the project and realized I was going to run out of yarn, I sheepishly called Judy.  She sent me an actual sweater's worth in an actual colorway and I began again.

Honestly, I love knitting with this yarn so much that knitting two (ok, almost two) sweaters was kind of OK with me.  I'm writing the pattern up now, with hopes to release it just before Slater Mill's Knitting Weekend in mid January, since Judy will be there with me, and I'm betting she'll have some Lyra on hand.  So, even without a plan, it still worked out, but that was my bad.  Designer should know better.



And that's not the only re-knit around here.   See that blue cardigan, folded on the floor in the corner there?  I was not so far through this one when we decided to redirect the yarn choice there as well.  Instead of bright blues, I'm now looking at Primo Aran in some of Sarah's gorgeous Plucky grays.  Much more versatile.  And going on the needles next.  Both projects worked out fine and maybe they even needed to evolve as they did, but...

As I work through these two, plus the various swatches and piles in my office I AM thinking about making a real plan for next year.  A list of sorts, spaced out over the months. Balancing different types of yarn and knits so I can work a variety of designs and can plan on the colors/yarns/quantities beforehand.  It's hard, when the process is so organic and things either do or don't gel together, but maybe I can shop and plan a little more effectively if my chalkboard goes farther than the few upcoming things on the needles and drawn in the sketchpad.  It's worth a try, right?

I do have some fun ideas in mind and have started a whiteboard with some new directions on it -- a few projects for the men in our lives, and a couple of things for the kids. Another e-book or two.  I may lay off on the summer sweaters in favor of more accessories since I am LOVING making those up and have a small pile on the desk already that need writing. 

These are just thoughts though, and I'm doing it all for you guys, so... now is a good time for any of you with requests to hop in.

Is there something you're dying to knit next year?  Something you have been hoping I'd do?  There's a thread in my Ravelry group where we've done this before, but how about a little blog conversation about what's next?  What do you want to knit, what do you want to see, what haven't you tried, what have you been LOOKING for and not finding?  Links, comments, suggestions, all of it are welcome!

Talk to me, people - I'm all ears!













12 comments:

reluctantMANGO said...

I've been dreaming about an office sweater - something with a bit of structure, mid-hip length, with a notched collar and maybe a belt. Lots of texture to make it stand out in meetings :)

Thea said...

oooh, Abby! A belt and texture.......

Patty said...

I saw a poncho in Talbots a couple of years ago and thought...I wonder if Thea could write a pattern for that and never asked! Looking for a DK to worsted weight with some kind of simple sophistication. Just what you're perfect at. There isn't a thing on Ravelry that floats my boat!

abbensmom said...

I love turning on my computer and seeing the BabyCocktails tab asking to be refreshed. It always means something fun this way comes! I'm excited to see what you might have planned for men's sweaters in the coming year. I'm feeling a tad (but just a tad) guilty about not having completed a sweater for DH in a few years. (notice how I said "completed?" I've started one or two......). I'd love to see your brilliant design + spectacular yarn (esp. plucky aran, worsted or sweater) in something I could whip up for hubby and growing teenage boy.....

abbensmom said...

aka KidRio in ravspeak

Jen said...

A yoga sweater. Long slim sleeves with thumb holes. Loose fit, but not square baggy. Rounded bottom, long enough in the back to cover the bum. Mostly simple with some nice litte detail - maybe a fishtail cable down the side seams or something . Something nice for after a yoga session, but also cute enough to throw on over boots, leggings, and scarf and go shopping in. something like this lululemon http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/tops-long-sleeve/Passage-Sweater?cc=0001&skuId=3527832&catId=tops-long-sleeve

judy said...

I'm pretty excited about the sweater you are teasing us with today. ;)

Suze said...

I've been searching for the perfect cabled sweater cardigan that is fitted yet cozy. Like Dark and Stormy with a little more complexity, or Bloody Mary with more tailoring…

Or, on a completely different note, some kind of drape neck design in lightweight or DK yarn. Maybe a little lace? Something delicate and simple.

p.s. am happy to test knit another!

Anonymous said...

I chime in with a men's sweater any time! Perhaps something with a turtleneck for cool spring/fall evenings?

Kristen said...

Anything with a peplum or double breasted military style jacket.

amylynne said...

Yep.....love the idea for projects for the men! And that 2 color plucky Aran looks interesting! Your patterns are quite easy to follow......and I still consider myself fairly new to knitting sweaters...working my way down the body of Cassis right now......love this design!

Seanna Lea said...

I know there are tons already out there, but I am looking for a cardigan with a two button (or so) closure near the top that is a bit generously sized for a nursing mom. Oh, and I'd love color work. I'm not picky about whether it is intarsia or fairisle as long as it is easy to pick up and put down without losing my place.