Wednesday, January 08, 2014


As promised, a little tale tied to my next pattern release...


Most of you know I have two girls.  The little one is Zoe and the big one is Maya - and Maya's the musical one.  She's always been pretty into her bands, and for a few years now, there's been this one band on the radar called Bastille. Lead singer Dan Smith is her boy (oh, swooooon) and these guys have been her favorite band for a while - posters up, playlists saved, lyrics memorized.  She spent most of 8th grade angling for a trip to London that just might include a concert, since they weren't popular here and never came to the States.

But fast forward to this Fall when their song, Pompeii started popping up on this side of the pond. 

Like most teenagers today, Maya's got her social media figured out for all her favorite things - including Bastille.  And when she flew down the stairs in early September to tell me that they were COMING TO BOSTON and HAVING A CONTEST for a SECRET CONCERT,  I nodded and handed her a backpack or something.  

The next day, Maya informed me she was going to duck into a bathroom at exactly 9am when they announced the winners, and she was going to take her cellphone out during school (not usually OK) to see if she'd won.  I said fine - and probably something about your chances in these things and don't get caught with the phone.

So when my phone rang that day at 9:02 with crazy excited Maya on the other end of the phone, huddled in some bathroom stall somewhere, talking super fast about Boston and Concert and Pick Me Up by Noon TODAY, and can I skip my last two classes PLEASE????? --  well, it took me a moment to realize what was going on.   I was busy planning things with Plucky and playing phone tag with her (as we do).  But I was on board, and picked her up.  Honestly, I was kind of psyched myself ...

It was a gorgeous day in Boston, and the super secret location was in the middle of the Boston Common.    We were dying, because it looked like there were only about 30 people there and this was going to be one tiny, private concert.  I think Maya was rehearsing intimate conversations with each band member in her head.  However, I forgot to tell Plucky where I'd gone, and she returned my call during the middle of all this and got quite the earful - followed by how many texted photos?  I don't really remember.  I going to bet we interrupted her sporadically for the next 2-3 hours. 

But really - put yourself in Maya's head (or, yeah, mine too) and imagine winning a contest to see your favorite band in the middle of the school day, without a crowd, 2 feet away, AND getting to talk to each of them afterwards. Because that's what happened.  

First, we were led to a grassy spot with instruments on the grass.  Maya is in the red plaid shirt....



And then the band walked up, said hello, and started playing:




And then they played for about an hour.

The video guys are because the band filmed and posted Vevo videos of each song on You Tube.  You can look for me and Maya in them.  Standing behind the guitarist limited her cameos to a few, and I'm in a second row - but we're in there for a few seconds on each of the songs.  LINK



And - as if that wasn't cool enough, they said everybody should hang out afterwards because they'd sign autographs and meet all of us.   They all signed her phone case - which is the SAME one Dan Smith has (again, swoon).  All four of the band members could not have been nicer and Maya got to have those pre-rehearsed conversations. 


And best of all, she had her moment....


This really would not have a thing to do with yarn, except that we were kind of sharing the whole thing with Sarah as it happened, since the one thing I forgot to wrap up before leaving was that game of phone tag.

So -- a little while later, 2 skeins of Primo Sport arrived in the mail.  In the colorway Bastille.
Because Sarah is awesome that way. 


19 comments:

margie said...

That's such a great story and how very cool for Maya!!! It all fell into place, Maya had a beautiful day and out of that came a beautiful scarf made of beautiful yarn. Perfection.

Carmel said...

that's the best ever!! so happy for Maya! What a great experience... I personally would have peed my pants with excitement!

Love the scarf!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Yarny or not, this is such an awesome story! Congrats to both of you for getting just what you wanted.

Elise said...

What a great story, what a cool band (thanks Maya for introducing me), and what a cherished memory!

Adrienne said...

What a special memory for you and your daughter! Thanks for sharing.

cyndi said...

Great story!

Madforknit said...

Awesome. What an amazing thing to happen.

Ms.Cleaver said...

I was wondering if it had to do something with the band - we're a fan of their (acoustic) videos on youtube in the Cleaver household

Sandra said...

Best back story, ever. How incredibly fun!!

Emma Anderson said...

Oh I remember my music crushes when I was that age. (Still have those crushes!) What a fabulous opportunity - and cowl! :)

Dreamin Diva said...

What a lovely thing for your daughter to experience. Will be making the cowl to honour my own adolescent crushes!

Lanikit said...

Fabulous memory! Your Maya has great taste in music! Now I want a skein of Bastille!

janna said...

What a great story! (I like the pattern, too....)

MadMad said...

That is awesome. And you are such a good mom. I 'm too lazy - I woulda been like, yeah, no. Stay in school - I'm not driving into Boston!

Sarah said...

The back story sells the pattern! Love it - and love that a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity trumped all else that day. Thanks for sharing all of it.

Nicki said...

What a great story! How cool that you got to share the day with Maya - she will never forget it (and neither will you). You are such a great mom!

I'm going to share the band with my daughter - she's almost 20, and I love that she still brings me to concerts :)

Ness said...

That is a fantastic story! I had the great pleasure of meeting my favorite band like this a few times. They no longer exist as a band, but those memories still make me very happy to look back on. I'm so happy you got the share that experience with Maya!

The cowl is gorgeous!

Lisa F said...

LOVE this story and love the band Bastille!! I just purchased and moved it to the top of my queue! So happy for your Maya!!

Karen J said...

That is awesome! Both the meeting, and the Sarah :)