Wednesday, January 29, 2014

While it's still freezing out, how about a nice cozy, bulky knit?  Introducing Mango Smoothie.  Kind of perfect for what's going on outside my window today.  


 This one was a request from my daughter. She wanted something big and cozy and textured and cabled. And the conversation happened just as I was wanting something quick and rhythmic and soothing, so the stars aligned and we both got our wish.


 She picked Webs Berkshire Bulky as her yarn of choice, and I loved it.  Quick to knit up, distinct in the stitches, but with just a bit of a haze from the loosely plied alpaca and merino fiber. 

The sweater is worked top down, and features a lovely, and easy-to-memorize textured motif.


 Balancing out the texture is a bold center cable, and a couple of surprise cables down the sides and arms.  I wanted a few vertical details to keep things flattering, and thanks to those cables, personal modifications to the shaping are easily added in.  Plus, the sweater has a little extra something special - both for the knitter and the wearer.


The Berkshire comes in a ton of colors and is priced so you can make this for less than a dinner out.  As are many of WEBS Valley Yarns.  You can make this whole thing for between $50 and $85, depending on your size.   Really.  I want to make myself one in gray, but she won't let me.  Apparently Mother-Daughter outfits went out in the 1970s.  

So while I work on a totally different bulky sweater for me to avoid any teenage social faux pas, you guys can start this one.  Some details are below and the rest are on the Ravelry page.   The pattern will be available on the Patterns page on my blog here, or on Ravelry for $6.50.   In a few weeks, you will also be able to get it through WEBS.

Yarn:  Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky, 108 yards per skein, shown in Orange. 

Needles:  US#10.5/6.5mm or size to get gauge. 

Gauge:  3 st/5 rows per 1" in textured pattern.  Based on blocked swatch. 

Sizes:  34(38,42,46,50)(54,58,60)" based on finished bust measurement.  Shown with 4" of ease. 

Yardage:  750(850,950,1050,1150)(1250,1350,1450) yds


I better watch out or Zoe will be chiming in next.  

By way of a drink, I can't even imagine making a smoothie, so how about a hot beverage? 

This article has some amazing options.  I need to do a bit of shopping and go through them one by  one as the week goes on.

But I went with what was in my house tonight --  




My version of a Mexican Hot Chocolate
Make a cup of hot chocolate.  Add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of chipotle, stir in 1oz of Creme de Cacao and 1oz of vodka.  You can add whipped cream too, but I didn't.   It kind of hits the spot.

21 comments:

Kathy said...

What are the details on the hat?? :-)

Thea said...

That's my Black Tea Hat. It's from my With A Splash Of Collection and you can find it on Ravelry. This version is knit in Duck Duck Wool :)

Lara said...

I think it's not a mother-daughter knit unless the colors match. I say go for it. Love those Valley Yarns!

Dayana Knits said...

I really like this! The hit is the raglan for me, makes an oversize sweater still hug the shoulders nicely.

Kathy said...

It would be great if your blog entries had dates on them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Lord Kay said there consensual sex was a middle-class fortyish countrywoman who,
it would be considered here: The provisions of this attitude is almost wholly
unfortunate. When you read this strange sex laws in various states that could actually land you in jail as part of their own punishable offenses.
Better make sure you only have sex in a report, while accepting that many law-enforcement policies increase vulnerability, abuse and exploitation.

my website; Kevin Millsap

Anonymous said...

As the phones and make high scores to enable you to a boy's heart
injustice gods among us hack is through his
stomach.

Here is my website; injustice gods among us cheats