Thursday, February 27, 2014

When it rains, it pours, yes?  But you saw the pile of projects a few posts ago,  and as I said then -- I have just a few too many things in the works, sitting unpublished right now.  So, when given the final go-ahead from Dawn, who am I to make a design wait longer - in order to space things out nicely?


Especially when Judy of Ball and Skein will be at SPA in Freeport Maine this weekend, with a booth full of Lyra, in which you can knit this exact sweater.  If you are not near Maine, it's available through her website here.

Ibisco is a little fancier than my usual designs, but as soon as I saw this yarn, I knew the fiber called for something a little special. The soft hand, the smallest hint of sheen and the subtle haze create such a gorgeous fabric.  Like something you could wear on a date.

 
So, Ibisco is my date sweater.  Dolman sleeved, with an easy, body skimming fit and a neckline that gives a hint of collarbone without being too deep or wide, it’s sexy and feminine while remaining easy to wear.


I played with the traditional Dolman sleeve, using a long, fitted wrist and a bit less “batwing” than you’re used to seeing. Subtle shaping at the bust tailors the drape in just a bit where it meets the body, for a flattering but easy shape.  And since the sweater is knit bottom up in the round, you can easily adjust length or shaping while working up the body.


The lace is simple and delicate and has a bit of texture to it, plus it can allow you a peek of tank underneath if you feel daring. The star of the sweater is the fabric, though, so I’ve made sure there is lots of stockinette. Soft and light, with a gorgeous drape - the mix of alpaca, wool and silk in the fiber is just lovely to knit with and almost decadent to wear.

The pattern is available on Ravelry or on the Pattern page here on my blog, for $6.50


All the information about the sweater can be found on Ravelry, but some basic information is below.

Sizes: 32(34,36,38,40,42)(44,46,48,50)”  Based on finished size at bust.  In the photos, Melissa wears Ibisco with 2.5” of ease. I suggest 2-3”.

Yardage: 1050(1150,1250,1300,1400,1500)(1600,1700,1850,1950)

Needles:  US#6/4mm needles (or size to get gauge) for the body.  You may want US#5s (or one size smaller) to pick up and work neckline ribbing. 

Gauge:  5.5 sts/7 rows per 1" in stockinette.  6 sts/7 rows per 1" in ribbing.  Gauge based on finished, blocked fabric. 


As for a cocktail with Ibisco, I'm going to save that for yet, ANOTHER blog post.  I've been distracted by Fernet Branca this week and now this is ready, but I am not.  But don't you worry, I plan to work on something later tonight :)  


1 comments:

Dayana Knits said...

I just love the slim dolman detail. So many batwings start widening way too near the waist, in my opinion!

Now this is good, spreading the word that there is a real need for the 'date sweater' category.

Recently, I bamboozled/bribed my husband to get me yarn during his trip to Switzerland. He picked a color he loved and said, "I don't care if you like this color, because I do! /big laugh/. There is one caveat with this gift. You have to make something sexy!" Ha. I regularly show him options... yours is next!