Friday, March 28, 2014

Yep another one.  Things will be slowing down around here, but not for a little while.  Let's just say I  had a hard time keeping my hands OFF the yarn that people sent me a little while back, and my penchant for instant gratification is showing these days.


But these Ginger Beer Mitts are being released this week for a reason.  As I may have mentioned before, I leave for the Lantern Moon Retreat on Mt Hood next Thursday, and I have a trunk show planned on Monday.  We thought it would be fun to tie into the trip with a design featuring some yarn from a local Portland dyer.  Like Lorajean Kelley of Knitted Wit.


When Lorajean sent me my package of yarns to check out, I zeroed right in on the Welterweight Rambouillet.  I'd been dying for something just a little rustic, and I can't say enough about this color - it's called Yellow Brick Road, and it's a gorgeous, happy, vibrant golden yellow.  I need to have it poking out of my dark blue toggle coat in winter, and I can't wait to have it poke out of my denim jacket if it ever does warm up around here.

The 2-ply sport weight is soft and bouncy and keeps its shape, and the rustic texture is just the right amount of wooly to add depth to an intricate motif while remaining distinct.

And I was dying to play with an intricate motif.


The lace and cable medallions run up the wrist on the thumb side of things to start, but shift over to make room for a stockinette panel once the hand begins.  I love the slant this creates.  They are fun to knit, and just interesting enough to make for an addictive little project to spend a few nights on.


It's easy to modify these for width or length, and instructions are included in the pattern.   And if you are not a yellow person, the Rambouillet comes in a rainbow of gorgeous colors.

The pattern is available for $5.50 in the usual places.  Some details are below and the rest are on the Ravelry page

------------------------------------------------

Yarn:  175 yards Knitted Wit's Welterweight Rambouillet, shown in Yellow Brick Road (sport weight, 2-ply, 100% wool, 350 yds per skein)

Needles:  US#4/3.5mm needles, or size to get gauge.  DPNs or circular needles for magic loop.

Sizes:  7.5 (8, 8.5)" around at wrist, 11" deep.  Instructions to modify depth/width are included.

Gauge:  6 sts/8 rows per 1", 7sts per 1" in 1x1 rib, based on blocked stockinette swatch.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And about that trunk show? I don't tend to do many of these, but it turned out I was in town, with a supply of sweaters on hand, near a fabulous few brick and mortar shop that carries both Plucky and Knitted Wit yarns.  How could I not do a trunk show??

So, if you are in the Portland area,  my mitts, a whole bunch of  my other designs, and I will be there on Monday, April 7 right around happy hour (5:30).

And the shop will have both the Knitted Wit Rambouillet and a limited supply of Plucky on hand for purchase!  Details are here.

Plus, since it's happy hour and I am BabyCocktails, the folks at Twisted knew I'd be wanting a little drink.  We will be whipping up a few Moscow Mules for anybody who wants to join us.  They're  made with Ginger Beer, in honor of the mitts!  Stop by after work and say hi :) 

Moscow Mule 

2 oz vodka
4-6 oz ginger beer
lime wedge

Making this drink could not be easier....  Pour vodka in glass, squeeze lime into vodka, add ice, and fill rest of mug with ginger beer.   In the spirit of full disclosure, this is not my photo, since I don't own a special copper moscow mule mug - this is from the amazon page where you can buy one.



6 comments:

Dayana Knits said...

Tell me, do you have a favorite ginger beer? It's such a crap shoot, I feel. And nevermind that stores seem to have different ones (or more often, none) at random moments!

Dominique Martin said...

So, those are absolutely gorgeous but what I wanna know is: what is laying beautifully around your neck on those pictures?! The colour seems grand, really!

Thea said...

Dominique,

That's a free form shawl I made! There is a better pic on my instagram feed. Good eye. The color is really pretty - Ball and Skein's yarn from a few years ago. I don't have the tag anymore :(

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

See you at Twisted! And maybe at the Lantern Moon luncheon before the retreat? Lorajean (Knitted Wit) and I are doing a trunk show there.

My younger son sometimes brews his own ginger beer. He fell in love with ginger beer in London. He just introduced me to Bundaberg, from Australia.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

PS: I love those mitts!

Hilary said...

I am absolutely in love with how the cable slants up the wrist...I don't think I've ever seen that before. So clever! And that yellow rocks.

Have fun in Portland!!!