Monday, May 19, 2014


The EnKa Fair comes to my town for one weekend every May, and the whole town gets involved.  The carnies come to town to set up and run the rides, but the EnKa ladies recruit volunteers to do everything else - so if you know an EnKa lady, or if you have kids - you're pretty much tethered to the thing from the moment it starts until the rides get broken down on Sunday AM.


It's actually awesome.  The Ferris Wheel appears early in the week, and the level of excitement in the kids is palpable as the rest of the rides are assembled along the street between the high school and library.  The only problem this year was the Friday night forecast, which called for rain.   Lots of rain.



And that stopped nobody.

It also made for some amazing raingear ensembles on those who arrived in denial.  This dude donned a garbage bag and a head towel while trapped at the controls of his ride.   He was unfazed.

We were fazed though, and had to change a few plans. Our pre-fair barbeque shifted from backyard to the covered front porch, umbrellas and raincoats came with us, and we huddled under any tree or awning we could find while the kids went on ride after ride.  Even though it sounds a little sucky, and we ended up completely wet, it was fun. 

I was lucky enough to be volunteering in the games area under a tent from 9-11 pm, but unlucky enough to go on the Ferris Wheel and get stuck on top during a windy downpour. 


Saturday, the weather turned sunny again and the rest of the fair was gorgeous.  The kids were let loose, I found presents for my brooch-loving buddies at the Rummage Tent, bought some cocktail and knitting books at the Book Tent,  managed a little color on my arms, and ate fried dough. 

However, all of the fair activity did cut into my knitting time over the weekend, so the sweater remains unfinished.  I tried to make up for it yesterday but ended up on a hike so that didn't help either.  But late on Sunday night, I picked up the project and made a bit of progress.  I'm loving the construction on this yoke, and am almost to the neckline.  The seams are just so neat and tidy....


4 comments:

lollyknits.com said...

That does sound fun! I love that purple, it's so rich.

Hilary said...

Ah, fairs are so fun. Ours comes a little later (July) and I can't wait. The people watching is the BEST. And the fried dough, mmm....

I love those neat and tidy seams!

Jody M said...

Thea,
hate to bother you, but I cannot figure out what to do with row 11 of your amazing BLOODY MARY cardigan! I don't get how the cable goes ...

Purple Sweater said...

The EnKa Fair comes to my town for one weekend every May, and the whole town gets involved. The carnies come to town to set up and run ... apurplesweater.blogspot.com