Thursday, September 11, 2014

Yep, Cocktail Thursday.   I've been doing some thinking lately about blogging, and how it's really been taking a back seat to the Instagramming and Twittering out there.  But blogging is fun, and it  allows for a conversation in the way that the other things just don't.  We used to talk, right?   There were whole sentences, some comments, we spent a few moments together.

And now we just look at an image and press a heart.  So I'm hoping to try and revive our relationship here.  Instead of just seeing all of you as little hearts on a photo, we can chat once in a while as well? 
To start with,  I will be sharing my drinks again instead of just saving them for when I have a pattern.  I'm not committing to a Thursday, mind you.  Some weeks I need it on a Monday, and others I may be in the mood on Saturday.  But once a week, I'll post a recipe and a pic of what I'm drinking.

I'll also keep doing the knitting thing - and not JUST when releasing a pattern.  But sometimes I'll do a look behind the scenes and sometimes I'll give you a knitting update and sometimes I'll comment on the things that others are doing in the knitting world.  And probably I'll blog when I am bored, so who knows what that content may be? 

Anyways, here's hoping that you guys are out there and may want to take a few moments to read a couple of words in addition to doing the photo thing (which, yes, I will keep doing - it's kinda fun!)

Cocktail Thursday, as promised:

Whisky Sour.

It's one of the few times I actually like the powdered mix.  It's available right there in the supermarket aisle, makes the prep easy, and really it tastes kind of perfect.  In that 50s/60s/70s kind of way.   


Also, take a moment to note my NEW cocktail glasses.  I updated the collection last weekend at the flea market because even I was getting tired of the same photos again and again.  These little painted glasses come with the best dainty pitcher - but I'll wait until I am making a batch of something to break that one in properly.


For the perfect whisky sour, you just follow the instructions on the packet!  One jigger of whisky, one jigger of cold water, and ice go in a shaker.  I also add a little orange bitters.  Shake, strain and add a maraschino.  Done!


And if you make yours tonight, take a moment to raise your glass to NYC - for loss and strength and resilience and spirit.  It's been a long time, but we should not forget those that were lost and those that were heroes, and those that were there. 

21 comments:

knitterbeader said...

Yes, Yes - please keep blogging. I have followed your blog for several years and love your comments, patterns, drink recipes,m etc.
I did not know (haven't really looked) that whiskey sour mix is available in the supermarket. I'll have to go check that out, as this is probably my most favorite whiskey based drink!! Thanks for the tip and recipe.

Patty said...

I'm on board! The weather outside right now looks perfect for a whiskey sour! (Was going to tweet you Sunday...while knitting Cape Cod and watching Bose commercials...Coleman-palooza!)

Madeleine said...

I like reading your words. I am neither on Instagram nor Twitter, so please, keep on blogging !

Bridget said...

I am not on Instagram, but I really enjoy reading others' blogs, and blogging myself, so please keep doing that here!

When I was a little kid, whiskey sours were the most exotic drink I could think of. Now I can't remember the last time I had one ...

Anonymous said...

Love the glasses! And please keep blogging and posting your beautiful pictures...I may not always comment but I always wait for your blog post to show up...Diane

Barb T. said...

I am the same as the above--I am not much of a commenter, but I look forward to your blog. I don't even really know what Twitter is and am not on Instagram either.
Just think, if you didn't have the blog, no punch bowl! LOL!!
My best to you, Thea!

Thea said...

Oh Barb! HI!!! I use it all the time and think of how nice you were to share it with me. I've told the story about a hundred times. Will be using it again at Thanksgiving this year - and maybe Halloween if I can come up with something good...

Kirsten said...

So happy to have you blogging more often!
Love, love, love those new cocktail glasses. They make me want to go searching flea markets for something new to drink my cocktails from.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased about the blogging expanding and continuing. I am a lurker but I read you faithfully.
Carol

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is something I do with my morning coffee; gets my day off to a nice start! Please keep 'em coming. Also, I'm giving my body a break from all alcohol, so a couple of 'virgin' drink ideas would be much appreciated!

Jane said...

I also check your blog almost every day to see if there is anything new. I love your patterns (made 4), and the drinks are a nice bonus!

Melissa said...

Yay! More knitting bloggers coming back into the fold. A few weeks ago I wrote about the idea of community that has gone by the wayside in the knitting world in the past few years. I've been reading so many sewing blogs lately and their conversations are amazing! I miss that about the knitting world.

Heather said...

Yes, please keep blogging. I'll keep reading, and commenting. You have wonderful content, insight, pics and personality. Thanks for the time and effort you put into everything you do!

Jenny said...

Please keep blogging! I don't use instagram or twitter and I like your blog!

Ellen Mason said...

Whoa, this is refreshing!

Katy C said...

Whiskey sours were a big thing with my parents when I was growing up. We still drink them on Christmas every year. Dad used thawed lemonade concentrate for the "sour" part. And lots of cherries because we would always steal them

Beverly said...

Oh, those glasses! So cool!!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I am cheered by your revived blogging zest, and look forward to the recipes. I've been on a quest to expand my cocktail repertoire for about 18 mos. But I haven't tasted a whiskey sour since I was a teenager I think.

purlgirl said...

Happy to have you back to the blog. I love the knitting blogs and yours has always been at the top of my list.

Parttime Princess

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I miss the days of tons of blog comments and back and forth discussion in the comments section. So many bloggers aren't blogging any more! But I hang in there, and still love to read blogs.

I do love instagram, too, but sometimes you need words! Looking forward to more from you.

Jan (jcoop on ravelry) said...

I think you're really right about blogs enabling a kind of conversation that's different from other social media. If cocktail recipes are included, that makes them dang near perfect! Just like that adorable glass you featured this time! I look forward to reading more. thanks!