Friday, October 31, 2014

As promised,  a couple of cocktails for Halloween!

The first is a Pisco Punch - which is the drink  that my new hat pattern is named after.   As most of you know, I do try to tie the cocktail to the project in some way, shape or form - so this time, I decided to work the San Francisco angle.  Since my trip to San Francisco was my perfect excuse to contact Verb in the first place, and both the shop and the yarn used were based in the Bay Area, it makes perfect sense to tie the whole thing back to the city!  So I looked through my books and  Googled "historic San Francisco cocktails" and found this one.

And the story behind the Pisco Punch?  It's a cocktail originally made by a Scot named Duncan Nicol, who introduced it in the 1890s when he was bartender at the Bank Exchange Bar in downtown, bustling Old San Francisco.  Plus - fun fact - the bar was located in the Montgomery Block, which was the only building left standing downtown after the 1906 earthquake and fire.  The TransAmerica Pyramid is there now, as the building was demolished in 1959. 

Duncan never told a soul the actual recipe, so people have been trying to recreate it ever since his death in the 1920s.   What they do know is that it involved pineapple gum syrup, pisco, citrus, and water.  After reading a whole bunch of versions, I'm leaving out the water.  I find no purpose for it besides diluting the good stuff.  And pineapple gum syrup is hard to find, so a bit of pineapple juice, plus a dash of simple syrup seems to do the trick. 

Pisco Punch

2 oz pisco
2 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz simple syrup
1 oz lemon juice

In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients and shake.   Pour into shallow champagne or martini glass to serve.  


And one more -- this is something fun and seasonal that we've been making around here:

Cider-Ginger-Bourbon Cocktail

4 oz fresh apple cider
4 oz ginger ale
2 oz bourbon
1 oz lemon fresh lemon juice
slice lemon/slice apple
crushed ice.

Pour all ingredients over crushed ice in short glass.  Garnish with lemon and apple on rim of glass.

This one goes down kind of easy - so watch it.  

That's it for now - Happy Halloween!!


AntiquityTravelers said...

I'm feeling a whole SF vibe going on here - and loving it! Hope you have a great trip-vacation-visit with the sis

Mo said...

I love that round glass too! Thanks for the recipes!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I've started drinking bourbon because of you. It used to be just a nip in tea with lemon when I got laryngitis but I now own a real bottle and am appreciating the cocktails. You are a good influence!