Monday, October 20, 2014


Having just returned from my 6th Rhinebeck, I can't manage to do much this morning but go through the photos!  I always come back from the festival a little overwhelmed and a lot inspired, and entirely grateful to ALL of you who make me look good with your beautiful sweaters and support my designs and allow me to do this thing that I get to call a job.  And you know it doesn't feel like a job at all, especially on a gorgeous fall day - being with old friends, saying hello to new ones, touching the yarn, drinking the cider, seeing your sweaters.....  To everybody that I got to meet and to those of you who I only saw across the Fair, thank you so much. You have no idea the joy and surprise it gives me to see a peek of one of my cables or a familiar collar across the field.  I wish I had a photo of every one of you to add here!  XO 

For many of us design-folk, Rhinebeck is also a time to connect with the industry people who we don't get to see in our usual travels (from kitchen to living room and back).  A few stolen moments with one of my all time favorite yarn people - Sarah Dimond, who you may just know as Plucky - was an absolute treat.  The added bonus of Hayley back there made it even better.

A chance to connect with a few of my new favorite yarn people was also amazing.  I managed to finish my Ommegang tunic in Bare Naked Wool's Stone Soup DK and it was worn on Sunday (phew!).  So, with sweater as an excuse, I got to MEET the amazing Ann Hanson and chat about doing more projects in her gorgeous fibers.  Thanks to Bristol Ivy and a few cups of coffee, photos were taken - so I can share a pic with those of you who didn't make it to NY.



In other New Favorite Yarn People news, I am chugging along on my collaboration with the charming Jill Draper of JillDraper Makes Stuff, and I managed to squeeze my way into that busy booth to pick some colors of her beautiful Rockwell yarn for a sweater design I've sketched up.   Gorgeous combo, yes??  I can't wait to get going on it!


Buttons are always bought - and I picked up more of my favorite stitch markers from Jennie the Potter  - you need these, you do.  Poor Jennie was so hoarse by Sunday that she could barely speak.  One hard working potter, she is.   This year's mugs were a hit - as always.   But I am dying over the little silver pendants she added to the repetoire this season.   I am wearing one right now - but since I am unshowered and in pjs, no photo yet.  


These pretty tweeds from Harrisville and Green Mt. Spinnery will become hats.  Just look at the colors in them - I envision cables in blue and lace in purple. 


And Jocelyn's showstopping O-Wool Legacy yarn will be a shawl. I also love Jocelyn, but if you've made Paloma or Margarita, you already knew that.  Great yarn, great colors, great company.


All of the above plus three nights in a charming farmhouse with 6 of my friends and an adorable baby? I'm good.  And maybe a little tired.

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm always so exhausted (and yet rejuvenated) after Rhinebeck! I love being there, being able to connect with friends I don't see too often, seeing what the "hot design" is (there were a lot of your sweaters out there, for sure!), and just being away from my daily life. I think it is the adrenaline letdown that exhausts me...but I always walk away wishing I had been able to play longer, stay longer, buy more, or see everything because I inevitably miss something.

Thanks for a lovely post. Can't wait to see more of your designs in BareNaked Wools.

Ruth Anne said...

How many skeins of Stone Soup did you use?

Thea said...

Ruth Anne - for my size (I'm a 34 usually) I used about 1700 yds, so 6 skeins.

I often add about 150 yds per size, assuming 34-36-38 and so on.

Ruth Anne said...

Thanks! I have 5 skeins in pumice, I figure I can justify adding to my existing SQ much easier than buying an entire new SQ! I love the sneak peek of this sweater!

Renee W said...

Thea, what design is the teal sweater you are wearing in the picture with Sarah??? Yarn used??? I love it!

Thea said...

Renee - Scholar and it will be out soon - sometime in November. It's going to be named Chartreuse....

Nathalie Fischer said...

So sad I had to miss it this year -- but I see my sister-in-law in her Plucky Cassis on the bottom right of the photo collage! Sounds like you had a blast. Can't wait for both Chartreuse and the tunic -- those are both right up my alley!

Yvette said...

I was delighted to meet you, however briefly in the loo line at Rhinebeck. Thanks for letting me photograph your stunning Chartreuse. I have happily plugged it on my wee blog which at least 6 people read!

Peggy Hanley said...

Hi Thea,
Gorgeous sweaters this year for Rhinebeck, can't wait for the Ommegang pattern. I love Sarah Dimond's sweater in this picture too. Would you happen to know where I could find the pattern? Thank you, Margot

Anonymous said...

Margot , I hear that one was store bought!

Peggy Hanley said...

Thanks for the response Anonymous! That's too bad.