Thursday, November 20, 2014

Introducing Chartreuse, a seamless, shawl collared cardigan I designed specifically to showcase a cable design that I've had pinned to my wall forever. I wanted something simple but distinct, and I really wanted the cables to be the focus.  So, here we are. Cables, stockinette, pockets, and a shawl collar.  It was a fun sweater to design, and I had to pry the sample back from Melissa here.  I absolutely love this one, and I hope that you all will as well...

I love how deep and bold and rhythmic the lines of the motif are when knit up. If feels classic, but not exactly.  The detail really stands out in a panel, and there's a subtle assymetry to the lines that keeps the eye - and the knitter - interested. (With huge thanks to Dawn Catanzaro for figuring out the tweaky bits that made it work just right)

To showcase the cable panels, Chartreuse features simple vertical and horizontal details that play off of one another. The shawl collar wraps around the neck at back to continue the motif in an unbroken line and the horizontal shirt back detail distinctly accents this while separating the long, vertical back cables distinctly from the collar above.

Simple pockets don't interfere with the other elements, and provide an extra cozy spot for hands.
Chartreuse is knit seamlessly from the bottom up, using a version of Elizabeth Zimmerman's saddle shoulder method. As always with my patterns, there are modifications to adjust the fit for length or width included in the instructions. Notes about altering pocket placement or size are included as well.

My sweater is knit in The Plucky Knitter's Scholar, a worsted weight merino-cashmere blend that's amazing both to knit with and to wear. The yarn is soft and round -- and rustic without being sheepy. The combination of merino and cashmere keeps it light and soft when worn, but it still has a very satisfying weight to it.  And it loves the cables. Loooves them!  I really can't say enough about this yarn - except that I've already begun designing a second sweater in it  ;)  And I may have ordered still more in the last update (in a dusty blue shade called Thank You Note, mmmm).

If you don't have Scholar (keep your eyes on the Plucky blog for future updates!), I would suggest another worsted weight wool yarn in a solid, heather or tweed. I'd stay away from anything with too much weight or drape to it, and I'd stick to solids or subtly variegated fibers as the cables won't stand out in a busy fabric.


Chartreuse is available for purchase in the Patterns section of this blog, or on Ravelry for $7.00. Some details are listed below and the rest of the information - plus the lovely test knits - can be found on the Ravelry page.

Plucky Knitter Scholar Worsted, shown in Technicolor Teal, 255 yds per skein. 1450(1550,1650,1750,1850,1950)(2050,2150,2200,2250,2300,2400) yards

33.5(35.25, 37.5, 39.25, 41.5, 43.25)(45.5, 47.25, 49.5, 51.25, 53.5, 55.25)" Measurements are finished bust size. For the fit shown, pick the size that gives you 3-4" of ease, based on your actual bust.

5 stitches, 7 rows per 1" in stockinette. Gauge based on finished, blocked fabric. Cable gauge is given in pattern.

US#6/4mm needles. (Or size to obtain gauge) Long circulars for body, shorter circulars or DPNs for sleeves.

I'm also loving Chartreuse, the drink. (and yes, I know the color Chartreuse is a bright acid green, but who can wear that? I was not about to knit this in acid green.)

The Last Word

   1 oz gin
   1 oz Chartreuse
   1 oz fresh lime juice
   1 oz maraschino liqueur

Shake together in jigger with ice and pour into a small champagne or cocktail glass and drink while still cold. I also think this is pretty good without the maraschino - and to be honest, I prefer mine that way - but the official recipe does call for it, so I've included it here.   Chartreuse itself is also amazing added to a simple lime gin and tonic - and I'm toying with the idea of adding a touch to champagne and seeing what that's like...


Dayana Knits said...

There's a yellow Chartreuse (less alcohol), but that doesn't take you closer to blue, lol. Lovely new pattern, congrats on the design.

Liz said...

Loved this pattern the moment I saw it and it immediately went into my queue! The pockets are wonderful. I made the Bloody Mary cardigan last year and I love it too.