Wednesday, January 28, 2015


Honestly, my husband probably deserves a sweater more than anybody around here.  He's waited a thousand times while I finished one more row, spent countless hours of his life in yarn shops, lets me go to Rhinebeck on our anniversary every year, drives way more than he wants to so that I can knit in the passenger seat, has learned an entire lexicon of knitting words, and never once tried to make me go back to the corporate world for a steady paycheck.

I'd say he's earned a sweater.

So I tried to design one that he'd really love and wear.  First, I knit in one of my favorite yarns, EVER.  This is The Plucky Knitter's Scholar, (the same yarn I used in Chartreuse).  Scholar is a gorgeous tweedy mix of  75/25 merino and cashmere.  It's round and soft and warm, and no matter how picky your man is, he will love wearing this yarn almost as much as you will love knitting with it.  And you will love knitting with it.

The design is an easy, soothing knit with just a few details thrown in.  Nothing fussy, but enough to keep it interesting. 

A bold textured rib on the upper half of the sweater emphasizes a broad set of shoulders nicely and shows off the distinct lines of the yoke shaping.  A simple design, with a few details.  And seamless bottom up construction means that if you need to tweak things for fit, it's easy to do in various places.

The Plucky Knitter is known for some amazing colors, and the one shown here is Rum Raisin - which was very appropriate since high end rums are one of Craig's go-to drinks.  His favorite one is Ron Zacapa, hence the name on this design.  I love the deep burgundy shade with just a hint of brown in it,and it turns out it's pretty close to that Pantone color for 2015, so we're on trend.  

If you are hoping to get some Scholar of your own, The Plucky Knitter is having two Instant Gratification Updates this week - one is at 8pm tonight and the other is  9am tomorrow - in her Etsy Shop.  These updates feature a mix of yarns, but there will be some Scholar in the mix!  Then, next week she is planning a bigger update with more Scholar sweater quantities available for order - in case you need time to check in with your men and think about the options.....   Exact details are  here:


The pattern can be purchased on Ravelry or on the patterns page of the blog here, for $7.00.  (And it will be available through LoveKnitting for the EU knitters)  Some details are below and the rest of the information, plus the test knits can be seen here, on Ravelry.

Sizes:  32(36,40,44,48)(52,56,60)"  Based on circumference around upper chest.

Yarn Plucky Knitter Scholar, (75% m erino/25%cashmere), 255 yards per skein.  Shown in Rum Raisin.  1150(1250,1350,1450,1550)(1650,1750,1850) yards needed

Needles:  US#7/4.5mm and US#6/4mm needles, or size to get gauge.  

Gauge:  5 sts/7 rows per 1" in both stockinette and texture motif, using smaller needles. 

I can't give you a cocktail using Ron Zacapa because I am often told it's a CRIME to mix this stuff.  Pour about 2 oz into a small glass and sip.  You can add an ice cube if you want, but that's it. 


dr_momzilla said...

What a great sweater! I would knit on for my husband if I thought he would wear it.

But I have to tell you something funny, when I got to the first picture of the back I thought "Wow, no grey hair!" I was relieved (?) to see the greying temples in the next picture.

Thea said...

Ha! He loves those.

Kathy said...

Beautiful sweater! Might have to make this for hubby's milestone birthday.

mnash said...

A good looking guy wearing a good looking sweater, PERFECT!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Great sweater and great model! I need to make on of these for Dave-he'd wear it all the time. (I think I say I NEED to make one of every new pattern you release. But I mean it).

andy said...

Marking for gifts, nicely done Thea!