Monday, April 27, 2015

I've definitely hit a shawl phase now.  The truth is that I am wearing these things pretty much every day and I can't get enough of 'em.  It's also been really fun to play with new construction methods without worrying about how they translate into 10 different sizes and thinking about the fit and grading for a change.  Shawls are fun and satisfying, I tell you. Plus, it turns out they go with everything.  Or at least, that's my policy.

I haven't taken this shawl off since we took photos last week.

Jill and I decided to name it Rum Daisy, which perfectly suits the bright, happy color and motif.  I love the lines and texture in this lace, which reminds me of a funky 70s crochet edging.  It's actually pretty simple to create, and when worked up, the "shells" really highlight the subtle shades of the hand dyed yarn beautifully.


The shawl is knit from bottom to top, with short row shaping to create a nice, long crescent.  The ends remain deep instead of coming to points, for a more scarf-like feel.  

Rum Daisy is knit in Jill Draper's Esopus yarn, which is a gorgeous, high twist, fingering weight, superwash merino that's 100% US produced, from sheep to skein.  The design takes two skeins - and you can play with more than one color if you like with this design.  A few of my test knitters opted to play with 2 and 3 colors, so if you want some fun ideas, check out their projects - here.

Jill's shop is stocked up with a ton of gorgeous colors right now, convenient, yes?  and if you don't see what you want, Esopus can be found in many local yarn shops, including Happy Knits, who just got a big shipment (a little bird told me...)

The pattern is available for $6 on Ravelry or in the patterns section of this website soon.  EU customers can purchase directly through Ravelry or find this one on LoveKnitting in a bit.

All the information can be found on the Rum Daisy Ravelry page, but a few details are below:

Size:  67" from end to end, 15.5" deep at center, 8" deep at ends.

Yarn:  2 skeins Jill Draper Esopus fingering weight yarn.  500 yds per skein.  Shown in Plum Jam.

Gauge:  5.5 sts/8 rows per 1" in both stockinette and lace, based on final blocked fabric. 

Needles:  US#6/4mm circular needles, or size to obtain gauge. 

As for the drink,  a Rum Daisy is fun, short and sweet.  
And an excuse to use my adorable cocktail glasses with daisies carved into the crystal.

1 oz fresh lemon juice
.5 oz grenadine
2.5 oz dark rum

Put 5-6 ice cubes in shaker with lemon juice, grenadine and rum.  Shake and pour over ice.  Add a cherry and a slice of lemon.

variation 1:   Instead of grenadine, add chambord.
variation 2:  leave the grenadine out .  Pour the shaken rum and lemon juice over ice and add an all natural raspberry soda.



Meredith Coelho said...

I love that stitch pattern! It reminds me of an afghan I had as a child. Gorgeous color too!