Wednesday, May 06, 2015

By now you all know that I'm really in this for the people, right?

And last weekend, I got to spend a glorious spring weekend in NYC with a whole bunch of them.  This time, I was surrounded by a mixed bag of crafters - this bunch of gorgeous, multi-talented artists who do everything from singing to writing to painting, to sewing and crocheting, and even a bit of leatherwork.  Plus there's the knitting, yes.



The lovely Cal Patch was teaching a sewing class over at Brooklyn General, and it was the perfect excuse for a few of us who are pretty used to talking thru the keyboards to gather for the weekend and chat in person. I can't tell you how nice it was to meet some of these ladies in real life!  Amy LouBeverly and Ellen (ok, I dkd already know Ellen in real life...) are amazing fiber artists who blog and teach as well as make, and you all know Kirsten Kapur, who sews AND designs gorgeous knitting patterns as Through the Loops.  She just released her beautiful shawl book featuring photos of her charming daughter Sophie, who also came out for a night with her mom's friends.



We're at a whiskey distillery in the group photo, way out in Red Hook, doing a bit of happy hour tasting.  Up my alley.  But there was also fabric shopping and city wandering and dinner and bad TV and beers in a tent under the Brooklyn Bridge and the discussion of many things related to the business of making. 
  

While they took their sewing class, I had an entire Saturday to wander around Manhattan in the sunshine.  I'm a huge NYC fan and I'm not often there with no plan or company, so that was a complete gift.  Every angle, every building, and every corner downtown or in Brooklyn is a potential photo shoot.  These steps....



But I was without anything to shoot. 

Instead, I had a surprise visit with Laura Nelkin - who was passing thru and met me uptown at the NY Public Library. (btw, if you've never wandered around IN the public library, I absolutely recommend it.  Gorgeous building, lots of history, and some great exhibits in there....)

We did a bit of button and book shopping in the garment district... and we found a copy of Laura's book (Knockout Knits) in the Japanese bookstore near Times Square.  Always fun to see that! :)  Then we realized it was beer thirty and managed to fit a drink in.  They were beautiful little blackberry vodka things, and we totally forgot to take photos.  Which means that we were having fun instead.

 
I'm home again in Boston, turning my attention back to the next pattern releases and my summer trip, but after a weekend surrounded by such inspiring and creative women who not only knit, but bead and sew and write and paint and teach, I'm feeling like I could branch out a bit, too.

There could be a sewing machine in my future....


6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Aw, so much fun! Hope you do get that sewing machine. I can only imaging the gorgeous things you would create with it.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

oh look at all of you smiling away!! Next time--and there must be one, --I will be there too. Isn't it great to be freed of winter?

Mary Lou said...

Oh, yeah. Me, too, Gale. So fun to the photos of the trip I missed...

Ellen Mason said...

After you left I told them the many ways you are a good friend to me and for me.

Thea said...

Aawww, Ellen. xo

cal said...

it surely was a super fun weekend! we just have to convince you to come to Maine so we can continue the good times... and/or else make NYC an annual thing. it sure was lovely to be there in May! see you in a few weeks in NH!