Friday, May 15, 2015

Wow guys, I can't thank you enough for the amazing response to Dubonnet and the London Mitts!

I'm so very glad that you liked the patterns and are excited about the KAL.  I'm working on the next London Calling pattern right now.  In fact, I think I may have figured out what it needs to be this morning, in my favorite coffee shop, with my favorite muse's approval.   This yarn is The Uncommon Thread's Posh DK, in a colorway I spell wrong every time - Columnimbus.  It's a gorgeous gray-blue and I am having a hell of a time finding the perfect thing to use it in because I am committed to a generous dose of garter here.  I just LOVE this stuff in garter.

But I'm blathering on and I've still left you with two patterns and no drinks on a Friday afternoon.  Which is not very sporting of me, I admit.  Bad show, old girl.  (In my head, that phrase sounds vaguely British, but I'm not sure if it works when typed out without the proper accent...)

Must fix the situation.

The inspiration behind the Dubonnet sweater name was that Dubonnet and gin is Queen Elizabeth's drink of choice, which seemed very appropriate for our London and British and gin-ny theme.

It's said that the Queen  has one of these before lunch every day:

2oz Dubonnet
1oz gin  (London Dry is the recommended type)
Lemon twist/slice

Mix with ice in a shaker, and pour into a chilled glass.  Garnish with the twist or slice.

Fun fact:  Dubonnet was invented in the 1840s by Joseph Dubonnet in response to a competition in which the French Government was hoping to find a way to get French Legionnaires in North Africa to drink quinine, which fought malaria.  I have to be honest, I'm not sure I'm a fan.  Malaria is definitely worse, but I think I like my quinine in a gin and tonic a little better.  Regardless of my thoughts on the Dubonnet itself,  I am quite fond of the sweater. :)

Never fear though, we have TWO patterns.

The London Mitts were named after the very appropriately named London Cocktail, which I liked much better.  (Sorry, your Majesty...)

2 oz gin
2 dashes orange bitters
1/2 tsp simple syrup
1/2 tsp maraschino liqueur

Pour the gin, orange bitters, simple syrup and maraschino liqueur into a mixing glass half-filled with cracked ice. Stir well, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel, and serve.  (and sorry, this is a pic I lifted from the interwebs - the lighting was bad when we made ours!)

There's no fancy story behind the London cocktail, but it's good. Now you have both drinks and patterns, and maybe you even have yarn in hand?

Enjoy your weekend!!