Saturday, June 20, 2015

I have the honor of wrapping up this week of gin cocktails with A Playful Day, and I think it should be done in style.  I hope you have had fun reading (drinking?) along and that maybe you took a night to try one or two of the ideas we shared.  Perhaps you'll be tossing a sprig of thyme on the grill next time you make burgers or saving a few strawberries from your fruit salad for a drink with dinner in the future?

I for one, can't wait to get over to the UK and have a gin cocktail in person with Kate, but I must get through the end of school over here, and spend little time in Amsterdam and Belgium and see my daughter sing in Brugges before I make my way to Brighton.  But soon enough it will be July 11, and I know Kate and I will take time out for a cocktail somewhere.

In the meantime, for our final dueling gin drink,  I decided to make it a toast-worthy recipe.

The French 75 is a mix of champagne, simple syrup, gin and lemon.


It's important to CHILL your cocktail shaker for this one, so toss it in the freezer for a few moments while you gather your ingredients.

French 75

4-6 oz champagne
2 oz gin  (I suggest a London Dry for this one)
1 tsp/.5 oz simple syrup
.5 oz fresh lemon juice
lemon twist
crushed ice

Shake the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and ice in the cocktail shaker and strain into either a champagne flute or collins glass over a bit more ice (not too much) and stir,  Add champagne and top with your lemon twist.  It's fresh and bubbly and festive.


I'm making mine and then raising my glass high to toast my Grandfather, who we just said goodbye to this week.   He lived a long and wonderful 90 years, and was one of the kindest and warmest people I've ever known.  Not many people get to know their great grandchildren, and we know how lucky we were to have him with us this long.  It's been a bittersweet few days full of memories and family and tears, but we know it was time and we are grateful for the many years we had with him. He will be loved and missed for years to come.  And he did enjoy a glass of champagne - so this French 75 seems extra perfect right now.  


Thanks for playing along with Kate and I.
Don't forget that the KAL will continue for one more week over on Ravelry....


4 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm very sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing.

Beverly said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Kirsten said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. What a treasure it must have been for your kids to have known him, and for him to have the opportunity to watch them grow up. Cheers to him and to you. xo

janna said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather - but how lucky you were to have him for so long!