Monday, November 02, 2015



The Southern Comfort Cowl was exactly what I needed as the chaos of Halloween and fall sports hit around here.  Some really gorgeous yarn, paired with some easy-to-knit cables.  On #10/6mm circulars. This thing flew off the needles and it hasn't been off my neck since.

  

Shalimar's Breathless DK was already one of my favorite go-to yarns, so when Kristi mentioned she'd created a bulky version, I had to knit with it pretty immediately. The Cush is just as soft and beautiful and lightweight as the DK, but big and round and oh-so-woofy.   Cush is available at many of the  local yarn shops that carry Shalimar, and Kristi is having an update on Wednesday Nov 4, at 12 noon EST in her Etsy shop as well: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shalimaryarns

My Southern Comfort takes 2 skeins, for a great mid-body length. You can easily adjust the cowl for a shorter or longer version if you want to play with more or less yarn - and I've also included instructions if you want to play with width.  The cables are an easy, rhythmic repeat and the long symmetrical ribs really showcase the subtle variations in the dye on this fiber.

The details are all on the Southern Comfort Ravelry page and the PDF can be purchased there or the pattern page of the blog here for $5.50

As for Southern Comfort itself, I'm thinking about the holidays - and one of my favorite things ever is a Southern Comfort Cake.  It's not from scratch and it's probably from the 1970s, and I'm sure it's bad for you.  And it's really, really good.  Friends of my parents used to bring it to our house when they visited, and when we were invited to their place for Christmas Dinner, it was always on the table:

SOUTHERN COMFORT CAKE

1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. Southern Comfort

GLAZE:
1/8 lb. butter
1/8 c. water
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. Southern Comfort

Combine ingredients in large bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Set on rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn upside down on serving plate. Prick top immediately; drizzle and brush half of glaze. After cake has cooled, reheat glaze and brush it evenly over cake.  (I'm also a fan of no glaze and powdered sugar)
To make glaze: Melt butter in pan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in Southern Comfort.


2 comments:

janna said...

Southern Comfort Cake! I don't think I've had that since the 70s, when I was in college and we thought Southern Comfort was quite sophisticated, especially in cake! Of course, compared to our usual PBR, it was pretty sophisticated! ;-)

Meredith MC said...

Yum. I want both. Cake and cowl- perfect for comfort knitting.