Monday, March 28, 2016


Introducing Talisker!  This one's named after a proper Scotch, inspired Edinburgh and Scotland, so it's an appropriate sidebar before I come back with yarn and the rest of my trip recap.


Especially since it's knit in YOTH Father, and I got to spend time with Veronika and Daniel in Scotland -- they are the brother and sister pair behind my current Yarn on the House obsession. And they could not be nicer. Here they are taking a short cocktail break at the festival with me -- and check out V's cool yarn-y tattoo :) Because, yes, the Corn Exchange had a BAR in the lobby.


We had plans to shoot photos of the cowl in the city, but time, weather, and other pursuits got in the way. Instead, Zoe was a willing model back here in Massachusetts. And for that, I may have to share the cowl from now on.  I'm in trouble because she's the same size as me already.


Talisker features the familiar cables from my Winter Drinks collection, which I am just in love with. I'm not promising that I'm finished with them either - they have this delicate unexpected detail and a little slant to them, but they still read as a classic cable.  And they're super easy to work, another of those motifs that only look complicated...

Here they were in hat form - on the first of the Tom and Jerry hats - worked in Big Sister, the DK weight and pale shade makes for a lovely delicate allover pattern.


But in the worsted weight yarn and the bright color, they feel bold and squishy.  Especially when worked in panels and paired with garter and slipped stitch details.  The difference in gauge makes for a subtle scallop shape, and the cowl has a lovely heft to it.


It's deep and cushy and worked out kind of perfectly with a mix of garter, ribs, cables, and reverse stockinette.  I used two skeins for this size/440 yds.  All the details and a few test knits are on the Ravelry page.  The pattern is available as a PDF download for $5 on the pattern page or here on the blog.


Back to work now -- I'm still catching up.  But a note on drinking a proper scotch?  I like it straight. No ice,  no mixers.  Just an inch or so in a tumbler at the end of the night.  Even better if it's cold or rainy or misty out....

5 comments:

Amy Calkins said...

That's just plain gorgeous! And I share your enthusiasm for a good scotch on a cold evening, or a warm one or...

emili naomi said...

I am big fan of cables, so I love this! Beautiful colours also!

BCGramma said...

Gorgeous cowl, gorgeous yarn. I'm so happy my favorite not so local yarn shop carries YOTH!
My husband and I got to drink a proper scotch at the Edinburgh Castle, did you know they have a scotch store in the castle? We didn't, but were so glad it was there. It was a very windy, very cold and very wet day in June when we were there and scotch warmed up the body, from the toes to the nose!

Thea said...

BCGRamma - I loved the Castle, but somehow I missed the scotch shop in it! But no worries, because I will be back - that's one magical city ;)

janna said...

I do not need another cowl. I do not need another cowl. I do not need another cowl.... but I seem to have bought it anyway.... (It's so gorgeous!)