Wednesday, August 17, 2016


You know how I feel about my cables, and my tweed, and any yarn with a story or some heritage attatched to it, right?  Plus the small companies that make up our little indie world?


So you know how I feel about Jameson here.  When Kate and Courtney of Kelbourne Woolens sent me a surprise skein of their new Arranmore yarn this summer, I fell hard, and immediately went about sketching and designing something, and it was one of those times when the yarn arrived and I HAD to cast on immediately and then just knit and knit until it was done.  I loved every minute of this project, and I feel good about who's behind the yarn and the care they put into creating it.


Arranmore is the perfect early fall yarn too.  It's satisfyingly rustic, but light and lofty and soft,  I want something cozy but not overwhelming as the weather changes, and this pale blue shade, paired with the silk and cashmere mixed in there makes for a lovely, delicate - but woofy - sweater.


3/4 sleeves and a deep cowl neck give it a bit of a vintage vibe, but it's also earthy and easygoing.  (If that makes sense in a sweater?)  I had a little fun with the cable tails, as I love to do -  and the panels at front and back make modifications for fit easy to add.


Instructions are included for working alternate neckline treatments if you don't want a full cowl as shown, and I've added notes on working long sleeves instead of 3/4 if you like.

The name of the pattern is also a nod to the tradition behind the yarn - Jameson may be the most popular Irish Whiskey in the world now, but it also has roots as the oldest distillery in all of Ireland, with beginnings in the 1700s.  It started as the Bow Street Distillery in Dublin. When John Jameson married Margaret Haig in 1786 and moved to town, he married into an already established whiskey family and took a job managing the popular distillery, which was owned by some of Margaret's cousins. In 1810, he and his son John bought the distillery and changed the name, creating the whiskey we know today.



The Jameson pattern is for sale here on the blog for $7, or you can go to Ravelry for all the details and to purchase it there.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

Wendy Wilken said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Christine said...

I love everything about this sweater. What an accomplishment : )

Thea said...

Thanks guys!! xo

Leanne Coppola said...

Gorgeous!!!!! I love this.

skeindalous said...

This is wonderful! Cannot find a sweater's worth of the yarn you used. The go to for me for Aran is Quince Osprey, but this really needs tweed! Any other tweedy Aran weights to recommend? Found Rowan Felted Tweed Aran, but cannot get a sweater's worth in anything. Sigh.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Beautiful! And your model is fabulous too, wearing it so well.....it makes me want to knit it right away.

Thea said...


Skeindalous -- Berrocco has a nice Blackstone Tweed which may work, and the old Jo Sharp Aran Tweed is also a good sub, or if you find any of the Kathmandu Aran - I think both the JS and the Kathmandu are in Ravelry stashes for sale.....

Harrisville or Shelter may also work with just a little gauge/needle double check!

Thank you! Arranmore will also be more available soon - I know WEBS will carry it and they offer the discount when you buy more than a few skeins.