Thursday, November 10, 2016


Hello, lovely knitters. Regardless of your thoughts on the new direction our country might be headed, I believe strongly that everyone can agree on two things.

One  This change came for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that the people struggling in this country feel like they can't find a way out. They didn't benefit from the economic trends of the Obama administration and they don't see educational opportunities in their futures -- and they feel like they haven't for a long time. A thousand of these individual struggles created an opening for one big movement.

Two  Many programs that focused on helping the poor and many policies that promoted education will struggle to have a voice in the years ahead. As priorities, they have not been part of the conversation that's entering our White House right now.

I'll insert a hat photo so you don't click away yet. I know you are here for knitting part. It's coming.


As I process my own feelings about all of this, I find it really important to find ways to counteract the things I am afraid of, and I feel that organizations like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood  and Big Sister/Big Brother will find support and be heard by people who care. It's smaller organizations I fear for. Organizations on the ground in all of these cities and communities where people need something to be hopeful about.

Plus, I strongly believe that education is the answer to so much of this. As a mother of a daughter in the midst of our own college process, I'm finding the challenges to both get to and afford school are many. And I'm a lucky one. My emotions are all over the place and I can sit here and say all kinds of things, or I can do something. I plan on doing lots of things in the future, but here is a small one. And as a knitter, I know lots of small actions will make a strong fabric.

My new pattern, Rob Roy, is knit is Dami Hunter's beautiful Magpie Fibers Domestic wool. I am donating 20% of all sales on the pattern and Dami is donating 20% of all sales on the yarn for the next two weeks to Women of Tomorrow, a charity that helps at risk girls in inner city public schools get to college.  They focus on mentoring and scholarships and they do wonderful, important work. Even if you don't feel like knitting the pattern, maybe check them out and give them a bit of support?


If you buy two skeins of yarn, you can knit the hat twice, as I did.  It can be worn either snug and folded or long and slouchy, or you can give one away or you can just have fun pairing two of Dami's beautiful colors together.  And knitting cables is kind of comfort food.


The pattern is up on Ravelry for $5.50 and all the details are on the pattern page. The Ravelry code is LOVE.

I'm sorry if anyone is annoyed at my vague/not so vague political thoughts, but at the end of the day, I just think we all need to be actually, physically involved in helping to change the things that worry us. It makes me feel better to do so -- and since I have this space with a few people who listen, it makes me feel better to say so as well.

10 comments:

Sue said...

A little charity can go a long way to help people we don't even know. I do what I can for local groups like Women's Safe & Warm Up Cleveland (collect knitwear for needy groups). With this pattern I plan on knitting hats for the latter organization, paying it forward yet even more. Thank you Thea for your donations. Sue (pickupsticks66)

DebbyMc said...

As I sit with a knitting project for Standing Rock protectors in my lap, I'm reading your post. When I'm done typing I'll head to the pattern site and then the yarn site. Heaven knows I don't need more patterns or yarn, but heaven also knows how much just a little bit of money and effort can help someone get ahead. I'm always happy to do my part and share the many blessings I have been fortunate to have in my life. Thank you Thea for another opportunity!

Mary Lou said...

Thanks for doing this.

Rochelle said...

This is a lovely idea. Practical gestures of support are a great way to respond to difficult times, and if they involve knitting then so much the better.

Meredith MC said...

I agree with you and I clicked through to donate directly as well as buying your pattern. It's up to all of us to create the world we want to live in. Thanks for helping to make it a cozy one!

Lori said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too have been thinking that the way to overcome the ugliness that we have been exposed to this past year, is by getting myself involved in positive action. I will start by purchasing your lovely pattern and some Magpie yarn.

Mary Pat said...

I wish there had been more outrage and enlightenment before the election. A good discussion of actual issues that effect people instead of just slogans could have made a difference. Thank you for speaking out and reminding everyone to keep on working for the betterment of everyone.

Lisa Smith said...

We have to be the light, not our government. It's up to us to make a change in the world. There are daunting tasks the new administration must take on to help those who've been ignored for years. A stronger economy usually translates into lower poverty levels. But remember, its not the government that makes the difference, never in history has there been real relief and compassion felt that wasn't administered by the common man toward one another. We as individuals, one act at a time, make the biggest impact. Volunteer. Look up organizations in your area and contact them. You have no idea how grateful they will be to have you just a few hours each week.
Make the change you wish to see in the world.

Thea said...

Love you guys. This community always amazes and restores me, and I appreciate every one of your comments. Keep watching, keep volunteering and keep speaking up. xo

Cathryn said...

Appreciate your thoughts. Just bought the pattern to knit for my daughter-in-law who works for Teach for America. Will also share your blog post with her.