Wednesday, January 11, 2017


Introducing London Fog, a super cozy, boldly textured hat design that, like Rob Roy, allows your needles a chance to help make the world better, maybe a little bit - while they are knitting away.



I just loved this delicate Falkland Island Wool from Blacker Yarns (who love and respect their traditional UK farms and fibers the same way I love my US ones). This 4-ply wool is a gorgeous mix of Shetland and Merino yarns, with a touch of sheen, a gorgeous soft hand, and an oh-so-subtle halo.

But you know I love my bigger needles, so I doubled the fingering weight yarn, creating a lovely, round and springy fabric that works up at a worsted weight instead. Paired with some bold lines, a few funky twisted cables, and a touch of lace, the overall effect is a hat with all the squishiness of a heavier yarn, but it retains the delicacy and loftiness of a fingering wool.  It's quick and satisfying knit and I do kind of love this one.  (Erin (pookiebb) will say I always say that..)



The lovely model in these photos is my good friend and old neighbor Jessica, who's been in my life since BabyCocktails really were cocktails that we drank on the back porch while our babies played around on the floor.  I barely even knit way back then! ;)

I still see Jess all the time, since we volunteer together every Wednesday at the Boston warehouse for Cradles to Crayons, a charity that provides clothing, books, toys, school supplies, and a variety of other necessities to at-risk kids across our state. They have other warehouses in Chicago and Philadephia to help kids in those cities as well.



Since I did bribe Jess to pose for me last Wednesday after our shift, and since we did take these pics right outside the warehouse, and because I really do love this charity and the work that they do, it seems fitting that my next "giving" project should be this one.

I hope to keep adding these projects in as the next few years go on, and to keep throwing a little love and cash at organizations that need it. I really was amazed at the response to Rob Roy and the power we have as a community to do this.

So, from now until February 28, 
I'll donate $1 of each London Fog pattern purchased to Cradles to Crayons. 



And for those of you who like to knit along with friends, Blacker Yarn is about to begin a big KAL for the Edinburgh Yarn Festival, since they are co-hosting the Podcast Lounge again this year, 

Anyone knitting anything in one of their yarns can totally join in for some camaraderie, knitting, and a few prizes. You do not have to be going to the festival to knit along or to win those prizes. 

The KAL begins on Jan 19 and more information is here.

The London Fog pattern is available on Ravelry or on the hat section of this blog for $6.50, and more info, plus the test knits, will be popping up on Ravelry soon. xo


0 comments: