Friday, March 24, 2017


The next shipment of yarn is ALMOST ready....

I don't know about you guys, but I'm counting down to that Father Yarn from my friends at YOTH, and I'm also so happy that they thought ahead to order more when the collection came out, because you guys did scoop up the first batch pretty quickly!

But more is just about ready, and if you are lucky enough to be going to Vogue Knitting Live in Vegas this weekend, Veronika had some mailed straight to the show, so there WILL be a limited amount of Father on hand in their booth. For the rest of us, the big shipment is coming late next week and will be up on the website by 4/5 - plus shipping out to shops that carry it at the same time.

In all the colors. Yes.

So... just another week or so!  And I've been prepping for a KAL in my BabyCocktails group on Ravelry, starting on 4/3.

The Vodka Collection thread already has a bunch of chatter in it,  and people have started thinking about yarn choices and which sweater they want to make, and what sizing mods they may have in mind, so if you've been waiting to cast on (or have recently cast on), feel free to join in.


For now though, a little commentary on the inspiration behind  With A Twist!

This one is kind of special to me, not only because I love the squishy texture and the cozy collar.

The idea for all those cables came from a kinda cool place (at least I think so) and a vintage sweater that's pretty special to me.  Below is said sweater. It's a really old, ginormous, cashmere turtleneck that used to belong to my Pop. I'm lucky enough to have a few of his sweaters, and I love them all. And even though they are HUGE (he was well over 6 feet tall and broad, and if you know me you know I'm not.) I wear them, because they are warm and cozy and because they were his,

But something about the texture on this one always sticks in my head. I have a love hate relationship with this design. I love the contrast and the slipped stitches - the motifs are really simple and beautiful -- but I hate hate hate the transitions between them. It's not a handknit, so this was something that was manufactured back in the 50s and maybe that's how the machines had to do it, but man, those transitions BUG me.  Bumpy, uneven.... distracting, right?


It's funny the things you start to see as a knitter, but it's just so very sloppy,
I see this sweater now and my head goes immediately to the ways they could have made this neater. A rib, a slipped stitch, a border element on the actual motifs?  But as I said, I love the overall idea. The big and small versions of the same stitch next to each other in vertical stripes, I do like that. 

so... 


I did it my way.  Really, that made me feel so much better! It's almost like I fixed it.

Anyways, that's a little Friday diversion, right?  

 I hope you all have a great weekend, and if you have been waiting to get any one of the  Vodka Collection sweaters on the needles, check into the Ravelry group and say hi, and maybe join in once the KAL begins on April 3!  


 me and Pop, a couple of years ago. not sweater weather that day.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, such a lovely pic of you and your dad and sweet story ❤