Tuesday, November 14, 2017




Two different patterns, Rum Daisy and Hot the Top have been at the center of my desk this past week or so!   They do look pretty good together, don't they?

Rum Daisy is an old favorite of mine - I designed this in Jill Draper's Esopus yarn a few years back and have worn it tons since. However, Esopus is no longer available.  But you know what is?  MOHONK LIGHT!  And I really, really love Mohonk - so we decided to revisit the pattern and see how it looked if reknit in a new yarn, and I'm kind of in love.  I've been slowly updating some of my older patterns into my new format, so it seemed the perfect time to give Rum Daisy a little overhaul. New pics, new yarn, new format.  Right?

I even bought 2 skeins of this to knit myself one when I have time...  (The blue shawl belongs to Jill and Mindy, who knit it and is the lovely model up above!).  To coincide with the relaunch of the pattern in the new yarn, Jill just updated her ETSY shop with almost 30 new colors of the Mohonk Light and they are all stunning.  But this orangey-red really spoke to me.... 

And just in case any of you would like to do the same, the pattern has a discount code until 11/17 - RUMD2 will get you $2 off!  



Now, the second pattern up there - Hot The Top - is named in honor of my Grandma Edie.   Some of you that follow me on IG and may know that she just passed away this October.  She was a wonderful woman and a fantastic Grandma - and nothing made her happier than entertaining people in her kitchen.


If you'd ever sat around her table and had a cup of coffee or tea, she'd eventually get up and go to the stove and come back with the kettle, offering to "hot the top" of your cup.  I was knitting this during her funeral weekend, and when my stepfather reminded me of this story, I knew that had to be the name of the cowl.

She also loved doing things for others - and as a knitter, I know we are entering GIFT KNITTING season.  Hot the Top is the perfect gift knitting pattern.  It's fast and simple, easy to customize for depth or width, and super versatile for almost anyone to wear.


The pattern was designed to showcase Julie Asselin's gorgeous Nurtured yarn - so the bold lace allows the rustic quality of the yarn, and the subtle shifts in color to really shine.  It's lacy and rustic and not too delicate.  Mostly, it's big and cozy. And because it was designed for a yarn with some vareigation in color and a rustic hand, you can sub almost anything you have at  home if you want!

BUT if you want to try Julie's beautiful yarn, the code 10off will get you 10% off in her Etsy shop - link - https://www.etsy.com/shop/julieasselin?section_id=18108638

All the details are on Ravelry for both Rum Daisy and Hot the Top, and they are also for sale on the Neck section of the blog.

0 comments: