Thursday, December 07, 2017


Introducing Earl Grey Martini


This was totally inspired by the beautiful, intricate shawls I saw this summer in Scotland.  Knit out of delicate, teeny tiny yarn in crazy detail, the traditional shawls of the Shetland Islands are stunning confectionary creations.  But when knit in gray and brown heather, they also manage to feel a little rustic, which I just loved.


(Image from the archives, Shetland Museum Lerwick)

But I know myself.  I'm never putting teeny tiny yarn on my needles, and I don't have the patience to work a thousand lace rows on both the WS and RS of a piece.  And I also love the garter lines of the hap shawls, and figured I'd try to combine some strong garter lines with some delicate lace lines and see what happened.


(Image from The Shetland Trader, Gudrun Johnston)

I was going for a shawl that would be all of these things (because why not, right?)  Rustic, delicate and simple at the same time, knit in a gorgeous wool that was big enough that I'd stay interested.  I chose Ramble by Kettle Yarns, in a deep gray with just a hint of green to it.  Ramble is a fingering yarn. So, yeah - it's close to lace but not exactly. It's a little heftier and can be knit on #6s, which is a bit more approachable for someone like me...

I took some time, swatched a lot, sketched things and finally ended up here, with Earl Grey Martini: 


A little lace - feminine, but still geometric enough to follow easily and bold enough to be distinct, combined with lots of garter stitch, which is short rowed for a deep V at center.  I love the strong lines and the delicate edging, and this combination offered just enough complexity to keep me involved, but not overwhelmed.


The sizing is long and the shawl is deep enough at center, but not huge. I wanted something that could be worn indoors or under a jacket, in addition to being a cozy piece. And yes, I've included notes on adjusting for either length or depth in the PDF.

And I am in love with this Ramble yarn from Kettle Yarn Co, which combines Romney with Shetland wool in a lovely, round, heathered fingering yarn.  It knit up beautifully and the texture of both the garter and the lace is distinct and rustic.

All the information and more photos are up on Ravelry and the PDF is available for $7.00 either there or on the blog, in the patterns section.

As for an Earl Grey Martini,  I found this to be the best one -  although I leave off the sugar rim.
Scroll down, as she's chatty - but the recipe is simple and tasty, and I love the froth the egg whites add!

http://www.oliviascuisine.com/earl-grey-martini/



5 comments:

Kristen Rettig said...

Gorgeous!

Meredith MC said...

How do the short rows work in this design? I guess I’m really wondering how it would look with stripes in the garter section. I confess that I’m wanting to see this in greens and blues. Which wouldn’t surprise you if you could see my wardrobe, stash, and hair.

Mary Jo Askew said...

I have a question on your Vodka Lemonade Pattern.
Setting Lace Pattern:
On either front, you want a border...........
When it says
Count 3 over from the panel and mark the next 18. You will have three lace panels of 18 columns each.
Does that mean k 3, set the next 9 stitch panel, knit 3 and set the final 9 stitch panel?
Mary Jo

Thea said...


Meredith,

Stripes would follow the garter lines, so yes, they would work - it's up to you how narrrow or wide you'd want them.

You could also work the lace in green and the body in blue or vice versa if you wanted.

Thea said...

Mary Jo,

Each lace panel has 18 columns, and as it says - each panel has 2 repeats of the 9-stitch lace in it. (One on each front, one on back)

On p.6 there's a paragraph above the chart that describes the placement of the three lace panels and states that those 3 sts are outside the markers/lace panel. They are the stockinette border between lace and the seed stitch collar.

That said, you can absolutely space them out or mix them up as you like.